Need Some Advice instead of Help

epsharp

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello All,

I have hundreds of thousands of lines of code written in a very old, structured, compiled Basic circa. pre-DOS. Over the years, they have been changed and upgraded but the upgrades stopped at DOS and the changes stopped when all applications ran in Windows, Windows Servers and third party LAN's. All of the I/O was written by me with data files being in CSV format and key files using a bTree TSR program. All files are concurrency safe, multi-user, multi-tasking.

The programs run in flow control using requests for keyboard entry as "interrupts" instead of Object Orientation, but since I never used the compiler for any type of I/O and wrote my own including a keystroke handler, it would be "relatively easy" to convert these programs to Basic4PPC. Yeah, I know it's for PPC but it does run on desktops and it doesn't care if you use GOTO's and it doesn't seem to mind that EMPLOYEE_NAME$ is really a valid string variable. Additionally, I've some B4PPC helpers.

I've written a program that takes a list of variable names and creates a PPC program including the form and all the necessary SQL statements to create and maintain SQL tables. I've written a DLL to use MYSQL to solve the SQL Lite concurrency concerns and another DLL to easily produce reports (Aged Trial Balance, Payroll Register, etc) utilizing WordPad as the "print engine" (remember the old PRINT USING "/......../ ####.##-").

Here's where I need the advice:

I know that Basic4PPC is not super fast but how big of a performance hit am I likely to encounter using it in a business environment utilizing SQL? The "busiest" application would be 3 mini mart scanning checkout stations while the maximum number of users of all applications less than 50. It would take a large effort to convert to a true "windows" application and a disaster to find that the response time using Basic4PPC was too slow to be practicable. Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards,

Ed Sharp

NB. My apologies for the length, but I tried to give a clear pic of what I need