Network Library OS Error?

Discussion in 'Questions (Windows Mobile)' started by nigelr, Aug 26, 2009.

1. nigelr

nigelr Member Licensed User

Hi,

I get the attached error when running a simple file-transfer app from the development window. It occurs right at the start on the server.start statement and it doesn't happen when I run the application compiled or on another pc?

It looks like a pretty low-level system error and has stopped my debugging in my tracks! Can anyone shed any light on this please?

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Ariel_Z

Ariel_Z Active Member Licensed User

This usually means there is some security issue - the most common is lack of adequate permission to access the server you are trying to access. Could you describe what you are doing - which os, which server, what are the security settings (if you know). You can also check Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> .Net Framework Configuration. Go to the Configure Code Access Security Policy, Increase Assembly Trust. Select the network.dll. I've seen claims this should help: let us know if you could...

Last edited: Aug 26, 2009
  3. nigelr

Thanks for the reply.
    I get the problem when running 'interactively' on xp pro sp2 machine. It runs ok compiled and also runs fine both ways on another xp pro machine and a vista machine.
    The server machine I'm communicating with is also xp pro.
    I only have reference to .net 1.1 in admin tools but I checked I have 3.5 installed? In any case, wouldn't this also affect compiled version?

4. Ariel_Z

Ariel_Z Active Member Licensed User

I guess it should have, but is sounds as if there may be some firewall setting disallowing Basic4ppc connecting to the server. If this is the case, add Basic4ppc to the firewall "trusted applications" (or whatever name a specific firewall gives) list.

5. nigelr

Defintely not the firewall

Hi - tried disabling firewall but it didn't make a difference. This now happens on 2 pcs.. works fine when compiled but not when debugging.

I've looked at Admin tools / .net configuration but I only seem to have ".Net 1.1 configuration Wizards". I've tried this and then selected 'trust an assembly' but whatever dll/exe I choose in the Basic4pc program folder, I get 'unable to load assembly'.

Any ideas?

6. Erel

Erel Administrator Staff Member Licensed User

Are you running Basic4ppc from a network folder?

7. nigelr

No network

Hi, Basic4ppc is running from local c:drive in standard installation folder.

8. Erel

Please download the attached dll and copy it to Basic4ppc libraries folder. Default is: C:\Program Files\Anywhere Software\Basic4ppc Desktop\Libraries

It should add the internal socket error code, which will hopefully add some valuable information.
    The error codes descriptions are available here: Windows Sockets Error Codes (Windows)

Attached Files:

9. nigelr

Same error

Hi Erel,

Copied new network.dll into specified program_files folder and error is attached. Think it's the same as before?

Attached Files:

10. agraham

agraham Expert Licensed User

Did you optimise compile the application before running? If so it will be using the existing source code in the libraries folder, not the new dll. Either run from the IDE or temporarily rename or remove network.cs in the libraries folder.

11. Erel

Seems to be the old library.
    You can create a Client object and check the dll version:
    Code:
    Client.New1

Msgbox(client.DLLVersion)
    It should show 1.01.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice