Android Question Nothing is showing up in Log Window

llestat

Licensed User
Longtime User
logWindow.png

Hi All, Hopefully someone can answer this. I ran the simple HelloWorld example to test this and it produces the same empty results. I have root access to the device and checked /dev/log/main and it has plenty of entries but I figure Basic4Android would filter it for me in the log window. Oh another note. The Log window is broken in two parts by a splitter. There is nothing in the upper part/window. See image.

??Any ideas why my log window is not showing messages?? I haven't really had the need for the log window since rapid debugger is mighty but it can me useful on occassion.

Program:
B4X:
#Region Module Attributes
    #FullScreen: False
    #IncludeTitle: True
    #ApplicationLabel: HelloWorld
    #VersionCode: 1
    #VersionName:
    #SupportedOrientations: unspecified
    #CanInstallToExternalStorage: False
#End Region

'Activity module
Sub Process_Globals
    'These global variables will be declared once when the application starts.
    'These variables can be accessed from all modules.

End Sub

Sub Globals
    'These global variables will be redeclared each time the activity is created.
    'These variables can only be accessed from this module.

End Sub

Sub Activity_Create(FirstTime As Boolean)
    Log("Hello world!")
    Msgbox("Hello world?", "First program")
End Sub

Sub Activity_Resume

End Sub

Results:
LogCat connected to: B4A-Bridge: Compal TANK 4.5-351780051715920
--------- beginning of /dev/log/main

lemonisdead

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello,

If your device is running KitKat it could be normal. I have noticed this behaviour sometime.
May I suggest you to activate the "developer mode" and connect via USB instead of b4a bridge ?
Hope this could help

Upvote 0

llestat

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks will try via USB. It' just an annoyance for now but i'm sure I'm missing all sorts of lovely details :D

Upvote 0

KMatle

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm running my S4 on Kitkat 4.4.4. Normal behaviour. Some times (after the 1000th compile) the logging doens't work anymore or I have to switch between filtered/unfiltered logs to show the logs the way expected.

Did you uncheck filtered? Try it and you will see your logs. If not, restart your phone and try again.

Upvote 0

Anser

Licensed User
Longtime User
Friends,

Today morning, I used B4A Bridge to connect to my Phone and compiled and installed the app to my phone. Suddenly I noticed some bug, so to debug the app and to watch the logs, I started the emulator and then installed the app on the emulator. Unfortunately the logs were not displayed. Searched the forum and reached this thread.

This happened to me today morning. All these days it was working fine, suddenly from today, it stopped showing the logs. The log window was empty and was not showing anything.

Then, as KMatle suggested I toggled the "Filter" option available in the Logs tab. I unchecked the "Filter" option, and then checked the "Filter" option. This resolved the log issue.

Now logs are displayed as expected.

Regards
Anser

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Anser

Licensed User
Longtime User
Yes, I understand that it is much faster and safe to use a real device instead of the emulator.

Thanks

Upvote 0