Old iPhone development

Robert Valentino

Licensed User
Longtime User
I want to port my b4a APP to b4i and was going to buy a used iPhone to start development.

Does an old iPhone work like my old Android devices that even without a service I can use them for development? Or does the iPhone need a service to work?

BobVal

canalrun

Licensed User
Longtime User
I want to port my b4a APP to b4i and was going to buy a used iPhone to start development.
Does an old iPhone work like my old Android devices that even without a service I can use them for development? Or does the iPhone need a service to work?
BobVal

I currently have an iPhone 6+ that I use without a service. I don't do development for the iPhone, but I can use the phone's other features.

Years ago I had something like an iPhone 4 that was stuck in a loop asking me to install a SIM card – sign up for service. I brought it to the Apple Store, they took the phone in back and somehow fixed it so that I could use it without a service.

I don't do development on the iPhone, but I have used iPhones without a service.

Barry.

f0raster0

Licensed User
Longtime User
we are using our iPhone4 :p and iPhone5, just in case note Apple tests the App using iPads (usually the last version)

emexes

Expert
Licensed User
Does an old iPhone work ... Or does the iPhone need a service to work?
I am using an iPhone 5S with no service and no SIM.

Also a Wifi iPad Air 2.

And just yesterday I was eyeing my teenage son's old iPod 3 and iPod 4, thinking I might give them a burl too, except that I doubt they support BLE. So I haven't tested them for use with B4A. One day, when things are quieter...

:)

emexes

Expert
Licensed User
I am mildly jealous that you have a 6+ because the App Store now requires that-sized screenshot as a minimum, and I've been slipping in through the back door with enlarged screenshots from the 5S with appropriate status bars edited in on top. So you might get to miss out on that fun and games.

:) :) :)

canalrun

Licensed User
Longtime User
I am mildly jealous that you have a 6+ because the App Store now requires that-sized screenshot as a minimum, and I've been slipping in through the back door with enlarged screenshots from the 5S with appropriate status bars edited in on top. So you might get to miss out on that fun and games.
:) :) :)

Most of the time my 6+ just sits in a box powered off. I only occasionally need it to test something. I got it used, refurbished cheaply on Amazon.

I have purchased a dozen refurbished older model Android and Apple phones that way and each time I receive a phone that looks brand-new.

Barry.

emexes

Expert
Licensed User
I got it used, refurbished cheaply on Amazon.
Yeah, I should probably do something like that. Except here in Australia, used iPhones seem to hold their value (or perhaps we have different definitions of "cheaply"). Five years ago Australia was second in the iPhone-Per-Capita Stakes, behind Singapore, but we seem to have slipped. Not sure if that's good or bad.

My son "had an issue" with his iPhone 6S ten days ago, so we've done a swap and hopefully once the repair shop's done with it, that phone will be usable for me with developing apps. Still doesn't meet the App Store spec, but at least it's a step in the right direction.

From the name "Canal Run" I figured you must be in England, what with all the canals there, but apparently you're in New York State. Those are some ripper apps of yours, I'm going to give them a go with my dad, whose hearing has been destroyed by a lifetime of cabinet making and associated machinery. I'm interested to see how good the speech recognition is - the tv stations here are now using automated transcription for subtitling, and it is a hoot. My programming mind does keep wondering why they aren't checking that the word sequences make sense, or at least go for the most likely sequence. Yet another little rainy-day project...

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User

canalrun

Licensed User
Longtime User
From the name "Canal Run" I figured you must be in England, what with all the canals there, but apparently you're in New York State.

Thanks.
Yes, I am in New York State, USA – Central New York.
We have the Erie Canal which is a waterway that was used a couple hundred years ago to transport goods from Western New York and the Western states to New York City.

The canal trail is now maintained as a natural park area. Years ago I used to run almost every day along a section of the canal. One day I was running trying to think of a name to use for a company. It hit me – Canal Run!

The Android speech recognition engine used in my app, I think, uses artificial intelligence techniques like "choosing the most likely word sequence" that best matches the data to improve recognition results. You can see this when I show" partial results" which are ultimately replaced with "final results". The final results may be significantly different than the partial results.

Last I checked, which was a few years ago, Apple did not allow access to its speech recognition API and I wasn't sure about using the Android SR API on an Apple device. That is why there is no iPhone version for the app.

Barry.

Last edited: