Opening a file argument?

Hennell

Licensed User
Longtime User
How do you get a file name argument when a file is chosen from within a file manager?

I can make it so I tap on a file and my program launches, but I want it to load the file I tapped on as well, which I can't work out how to code. I figure its probably an argument option or something, but I can't work it out. What do I have to do?

Hennell

Licensed User
Longtime User
Afraid I don't really understand the help on it, I assume the program will be launched with the file name as an argument but I can't see how I capture that to use. Might fiddle with the code shown in help, but I could do with some more pointers...

(Also I apologise, but I seem to have posted this in 'Code Samples and Tips', rather then the more suitable 'questions/help needed' forum. Can someone move it? I've no idea why I put it here.... *feels silly*)

Hennell

Licensed User
Longtime User
Ah, thanks agraham, the help file, your last comment and some trial and error seem to have got it all working now. Suddenly it all seems quite obvious. :sign0161:

my code for anyone else with the problem is:

B4X:
(In app start)
If ArrayLen(Args()) = 1 Then 'Will catch if a single argument is given. (Like a file name)
   file = args(0)
   If SubString(file,StrLength(file) - 3, 3) <> "jgf" Then 'Checks the file extension to see if its the right type. 
      Msgbox(File & " is not a valid file","Error")
      Return
   End If
   opendialog1.File = file
   LoadFile

Which seems to work fine.

EDIT: First version only worked when given an argument to check. :signOops:. New code checks if the argument is there...

Last edited: