Java Question OSMDroid library

courdi95

Hello,

I am discovering B4A, and I would be very interesting to use it.

Especially for geolocation application ...

Thus I would like to use the GPS (and the GPS library), but also a very powerful 3rdparty free library which override the Google MapView add-on to display OFFLINE maps. This library is called "OSMDroid" (you will find it on http slash slash code.google.com slash p slash osmdroid - "OpenStreetMap-Tools for Android - Google Project Hosting"), is available as a .jar file and displays files located in the sdcard (/sdcard/osmdroid/).

My questions are :
- is anybody on the way to propose this library for B4A ?
- if no, is it easy to do by myself ?
- if a MapView object is created by this new library, are all the methods available in the B4A code ? to move the map using GPS information for example ...

courdi95

The problem with android MapView is that it must be used with MapActivity. Adding MapActivity raises all kinds of problems.
Do you know if this MapView also depends on MapActivity?

No, I don't know ... maybe you could check also ?

lawboy

Licensed User
Longtime User
So, does the OSMDroid MapView depend on MapActivity?

Last edited:

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I've downloaded it and googled around and it is not at all clear how to use this as the documentation is non-existent and although there is a compiled example in the download section as an apk there is no source code available.

Earlier versions seemed to have defined their own MapActivity but the current version does not. It is not clear whether this implies that it needs to use the Android version or not. It is stated to be a replacement for the Android MapView so it would make sense for it to use the Android MapActivity but it is not clear if this is a requirement.