Android Question Out of memory error in Designer

stevewidget

Licensed User
Hello , after a fairly lengthy period away Im back B4X ing. Basically trying to do Arduino to B4J and B4A via USB. So I downloaded chat example in B4J and ran as is no problem. I didnt want to use prefix mode, so changed that to just Initialize and change baud and it ran as expected.
I then went into designer and it immediately came up with exception error loading file out of memory, and nothing in wisywig screen.
I deleted the folder and re extracted from zip file and its same.
I am running v8.1. As my other files work is there a compatibility issue with the chat example and this release.
I apologise if this has been covered, but Ive spent a couple of hours trawling the forum for clues.
Thanks
Steve

stevewidget

Licensed User
Thanks Erel,
Sorry it was wrong forum, and I did say I was a bit rusty. OK that's what I thought was happening, and yes I am re creating the layout, but that does raise a bit of concern, are new versions not backward compatible with older programs? I seem to remember a similar scenario a year or so ago when something I was working on stopped compiling after an update. In this case recreating layout is trivial, but I can forsee more complex programs being a complete pain to recreate. What is policy on updates? and is there a guide to what changes with every release in terms of impact on existing code. Perhaps I need to save a complete environment for every project with all Java environment saved, and not just update to the latest with every release.How do other users handle this?
Thanks for your prompt response, despite how much you seem to have grown you are still replying in very quick time
Steve

Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
1. B4J is completely backward compatible.
2. FXML layouts are deprecated for many years now.
3. FXML layouts still work. The problem is that you tried to open a FXML layout with the internal designer instead of installing JavaFX Scene Builder.
4. Don't waste your time on installing JavaFX Scene Builder. It will take you 5 minutes to create the layout of that example.

Perhaps I need to save a complete environment for every project with all Java environment saved, and not just update to the latest with every release.How do other users handle this?
Very bad idea. Users should always use the latest version.

Upvote 0

stevewidget

Licensed User
Thanks so much for clarifying that Erel,
it was more of a problem of understanding what the problem was!! As you say, rebuilding was trivial,(done and works fine) Perhaps a more friendly warning than out of memory would be nice to warn newbies that this was built with scene builder.
Will update to 8.3 today.
Steve

Upvote 0