"own" ad service implementation

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi guys...
this may seem a bit far-fetched, but go along with me just for fun...

I have an idea for an app... in that app a few services and places will be showcased...
is it doable (up to medium difficulty) to implement a sort of my own ad service for those targeted by my app to get noticed?

How would such a system work?
I was thinking using timed event to retrieve a new ad from the DB, and maybe, just maybe, catch the click event of the banner to do something...

Any suggestions /opinions?

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks NJ...

A few more ideas to put on paper...

HotShoe

Licensed User
Longtime User
A few more ideas to put on paper...

You can never have too many ideas. By the way, it was good to see your name in the b4achat log tonight. Remember that you are always welcome.

--- Jem

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Do you mean, to have your own ads displaying on your own apps? I have something like that going on, I'd be glad to share some code.
exactly that... but for now its just an idea
I'm having too many ideas these days

wonder

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
In my game Hyperblox, for example, I have two "in-house" ads.
The first one is displayed once, when you start the app.
The second one is displayed whenever I want.

Bear in mind that these ads are nothing more than clickable images. In my case I'm using PNG's because I like transparencies. These ads are fully dynamic, I can change them whenever I want, since they're stored online.

The updates are done from my PC via FTP (Filezilla). There is also a text file on my server, which controls their behavior. Both ads have an expiration date, an optional hyperlink, a "forced update" option and a "chance of being displayed" in percentage.

Why do I have this percentage going on? Well that's the clever part, since I'm also using AdBuddiz. For example, a 100% chance rate will always display the "in-house" ad instead of the monetization ad. This way I'm able to balance between advertising my own stuff or making money with AdBuddiz. To change this value, all I have to do is to edit the online text file. A 0% value will deactivate the "in-house" ad.

Assuming that you know how HTTPUtils2 works, here's my system's flowchart:

Sorry I'm not posting the complete source code. This explanation should however, point you in the right direction.

Last edited:

wonder

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks!!! If you'd rather want a more sophisticated solution, you can always have an ad database and use MySQL instead of a text file.
This would be a good idea if you have quite a few apps serving several different ads.

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks!!! If you'd rather want a more sophisticated solution, you can always have an ad database and use MySQL instead of a text file.
This would be a good idea if you have quite a few apps serving several different ads.
I most probably will be using a Table to manage my ADs... but as I said... only ideas I'm gathering

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…