"own" ad service implementation

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi guys...
this may seem a bit far-fetched, but go along with me just for fun...

I have an idea for an app... in that app a few services and places will be showcased...
is it doable (up to medium difficulty) to implement a sort of my own ad service for those targeted by my app to get noticed?

How would such a system work?
I was thinking using timed event to retrieve a new ad from the DB, and maybe, just maybe, catch the click event of the banner to do something...

Any suggestions /opinions?

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks NJ...

A few more ideas to put on paper...

wonder

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Do you mean, to have your own ads displaying on your own apps? I have something like that going on, I'd be glad to share some code. :)

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Do you mean, to have your own ads displaying on your own apps? I have something like that going on, I'd be glad to share some code. :)
exactly that... but for now its just an idea
I'm having too many ideas these days

wonder

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
In my game Hyperblox, for example, I have two "in-house" ads.
The first one is displayed once, when you start the app.
The second one is displayed whenever I want.

Bear in mind that these ads are nothing more than clickable images. In my case I'm using PNG's because I like transparencies. These ads are fully dynamic, I can change them whenever I want, since they're stored online.

The updates are done from my PC via FTP (Filezilla). There is also a text file on my server, which controls their behavior. Both ads have an expiration date, an optional hyperlink, a "forced update" option and a "chance of being displayed" in percentage.

Why do I have this percentage going on? Well that's the clever part, since I'm also using AdBuddiz. :D For example, a 100% chance rate will always display the "in-house" ad instead of the monetization ad. This way I'm able to balance between advertising my own stuff or making money with AdBuddiz. To change this value, all I have to do is to edit the online text file. A 0% value will deactivate the "in-house" ad.

Assuming that you know how HTTPUtils2 works, here's my system's flowchart:
in_house_ads.png

Sorry I'm not posting the complete source code. This explanation should however, point you in the right direction. :)

Last edited:

wonder

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks!!! :) If you'd rather want a more sophisticated solution, you can always have an ad database and use MySQL instead of a text file.
This would be a good idea if you have quite a few apps serving several different ads.

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks!!! :) If you'd rather want a more sophisticated solution, you can always have an ad database and use MySQL instead of a text file.
This would be a good idea if you have quite a few apps serving several different ads.
I most probably will be using a Table to manage my ADs... but as I said... only ideas I'm gathering