Painlessly convert smartphone apps to web apps???

JackKirk

Licensed User
Longtime User
I was doing a bit of idle googling around web apps and came across:

https://parallelz.com/

They are claiming to have/(working to have) technology that allows a developer to painlessly convert a smartphone app to a web app.

No indication of whether the smartphone app must be android or iOS - but would not matter much I suppose.

If they can do this the implications are enormous for the app stores - which probably means they would gobble up the technology before it got released (or am I being too conspiratorial).

Means B4X remains totally relevant.

They made a big media splash in June/July last year about raising $3m in a "pre-seed" funding round - but since then not a peep.

I would be interested in any of the forum member's input as to this being a realistic possibility.

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Their website is all hype and no detail - including a rather strange article claiming them to be the successor of something Steve Jobs never said. I would like to see at least a hint of what their claimed "new computing architecture and platform" that was "never thought possible". Count me a sceptic till they actually give some technical details.

JackKirk

Licensed User
Longtime User
Their website is all hype and no detail - including a rather strange article claiming them to be the successor of something Steve Jobs never said. I would like to see at least a hint of what their claimed "new computing architecture and platform" that was "never thought possible". Count me a sceptic till they actually give some technical details.
I'm inclined to agree - but some (supposedly reasonably smart) people have ponied up $3m - they were presumably shown something - or maybe $3m is chump change to them.

On a technical level is this even remotely possible? - I know SFA about web apps.

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
maybe $3m is chump change to them
I suspect so for Silicon Valley investors who are used to only getting a 1 in 10 or so success rate. Unlike the U,K failure seems more accepted in the American business culture, particularly in the tech area, so they are more prepared to punt on anything that's got enough hype to seem interesting. See Theranos for an example of a cautionary tale.

JackKirk

Licensed User
Longtime User