Android Question Panel displays going 'out of screen', especially in older mobiles

beelze69

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi,

I have 3 doubts:

I have developed an application which seems to run fine on newer generation of mobiles like the Xiaomi , One Plus etc. There are absolutely no issues in the display of the user-interfaces exposed by my app on these mobiles.

However, the display issues happen with 'older' mobiles though the screen - size of these mobiles is the same as that of the newer ones which show the display properly.

Moreover, these older mobiles also have Android 9 and Android 10 in them like my 'Redmi Note 7 Pro' which has Android 9 (going by the SDK Version it is returning) but in my mobile the display is perfect.

The mobiles which seem to have the issue that I have tested so far are:

i) Redmi Note 8 Pro: Has Android 10
ii) Samsung 77 : Has Android 8.1.0

I do not seem to understand what is the issue and how to solve it.

1) I seem to have 'set the anchors properly' and when I test them in the GUI it says everything is fine.

However, if anybody gives me a better suggestion to do this via any additional code, it will be very helpful.

My main issues are:

i) The Panels are shown 'out of screen range' , especially in the older mobiles.

And it does seem to be related to the Android Version. But please do correct me if I am wrong.

ii) The Text in the buttons are shown in some mobiles in 'wordwrap' type and not on single line.

2) I tried to get the SDK Version using the method shown in the below post
and compiled it on my Redmi Note 7 Pro

https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/threads/check-android-version.40506/

However I am getting:

SDK=28

And SDKVersion=null

My question here: Why is the SDKVersion showing Null in my mobile

In my manifest I have set as:

<uses-sdk android:minSdkVersion="14" android:targetSdkVersion="29"/>

3) Is there a way to determine with good approximation that my app will not display properly on a particular device 'before it displays the gui' so that I can make a 'quiet exit with a polite message' ?

Please help.

Thanks.

Last edited:

beelze69

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Erel,

Requesting you to reply since nobody in the forum has replied to my Sunday question so far..

Thanks

Upvote 0

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
i) The Panels are shown 'out of screen range' , especially in the older mobiles.
If your anchors are correctly set then this should not happen. Post a small project that shows the problem togther with a screenshot.

ii) The Text in the buttons are shown in some mobiles in 'wordwrap' type and not on single line.
This does happen depending on the combinations of font size, screen size, scale and resolution. Make the buttons bigger, shorten the text or change the font size.

My question here: Why is the SDKVersion showing Null in my mobile
Because the versions Map in Sub GetSDKversion is wildly out of date, that thread is seven years old!

Upvote 0