Android Question PEAK CAN - USB android api (or WiFi?)

Marco Karch

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Commmunity!

I am a new member and I got a probably uncommon question:

Currently I am working on a project in which I develop a vehicle control system by using CAN Bus. In my bachelor thesis I want to integrate an android tablet using B4A that can read out CAN Bus signals to display the info on the screen and I also want to write on the CAN Bus in order to send messages (CAN Bus is 500 kbit/s).

I heard/found out that Bluetooth would be relatively easy to implement (since there are APIs available that let you read out the CAN bitstream), but first of all it is nowhere save, then second it seems that the speed of Bluetooth is not sufficent to write data on the CAN Bus (just read is stable).

My question now is, is there currently a possibility to do all the communication via USB? Is there an API for B4A which lets the USB port on the tablet recognize that I plugged a CAN Bus adapter into it, so I can read out the CAN bitstream (similar to how it would work with bluetooth)?

My second question, if USB would not work for me, is there the possibility of using a WiFi API in B4A in order to get me the job done?

I know these two questions are very complex, but I hope some of you experts can help me out! If you got any experiance with that, I would be really thankful if you share them with me to solve my problem.

Thank you very much, appreciate it!

All my best, Marco