Android Question PlayStore - how to limit the app to smartphones only

udg

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi all,

I'd like to limit use of an app to smartphones only (no tablets, TVs, smartwatches..).
Is there an option on the developer panel to set the app that way?

Or should I check in-app and show a message?

TIA

Marvel

Licensed User
If I remember correctly, you should be able to select the options on the Google developer panel.

Upvote 0

JohnC

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
With phone screens getting bigger and bigger and tablets getting built-in cellular modes, I don't know if there really will be a difference between smartphones and tablets!

Seriously, because tablets don't normally have cellular modems in them, I think my method (that I used a few years back) to limit an app to smartphones only was to add something in the manifest that required a cellular radio in the device - but I forgot what exactly that was.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

yfleury

Licensed User
Longtime User
A year ago, I try something with screen size and I test cellular. Some tablets have lte and phone have big screen and high resolution. I never find how to distinct each

Upvote 0

peacemaker

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Technically, the difference before and now only one: the screen pixel density. Tablets are always 7+''. Resolutions are limited by some digits at any display.
So, it should be a bounding density value between phones and tablets...
But how to lock it in the manifest...

Upvote 0

udg

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Thak you all.
My question was more about a possible setting among the hundreds needed to complete the store forms for submission rather than "tricks" to discover the device type at runtime.
BTW, I started a similar thread in the iOS section because, although in Main I set "#Target: iPhone" the review team used an iPad.

As long as review teams look at an app on the "wrong" device is up to them. IMHO, what's important is that they don't allow end users to use devices not included in the original app design.

Upvote 0

JohnC

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I had the understanding that google's play store app will only show apps that are compatible with the device that the user is currently running the play store app on.

So, by having that line in the manifest, play store won't show (or allow the user to install) an app that requires a cellular radio on a tablet that doesn't have it.

Upvote 0

epiCode

Licensed User
Now there are tablets with SIM card slots and there are Phones which have a screens larger than 7 inch, so I guess the cellular radio or screen pixels density/size will not be a perfect solution.
To limit the application to smartphones only in Google Play Store you can use the "Device Catalog" and filter the devices that your app is compatible with.

In the device catalog, you can filter devices based on various criteria such as:
  • Manufacturer
  • Model
  • Operating system version
  • Screen size
  • Density
  • Hardware features (camera, GPS, etc)
By selecting the devices, your app will only be available to users on those devices.

Upvote 0

peacemaker

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
OK, all this means that no way :)
Topic can be closed.

Upvote 0