Please help with apk file size

zetadan

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have been working on an app for a couple months and now have a big problem.

I have many png files associated with this app. To start off, I have been fairly unorganized with where I put them. Everything is not in a single parent directory for the app.

I want to distribute two versions of the app so I have been playing with the package name using two b4a projects which use the same files.

Here is the problem: Now when I compile the app the size has grown from 6 to 19 to 38 ! MB.

I don't know what is going on. How can I track down what is causing the apk file size to go up like this?

I understand that I have not given a great deal of information but I want to be pointed in the right direction to start troubleshooting this.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Dan

zetadan

Licensed User
Longtime User
The apk file inside is much smaller. What should I be looking for in the unzipped form? Sorry for my noobness.

Upvote 0

thedesolatesoul

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
hmm...just look for large files inside it.
what do you mean the apk file inside?
Once you rename the apk to zip, inside you will have classes.dex and res and other files. You can either see which one is suspiciously large, or compare with an earlier apk to see which file has grown.

Upvote 0

zetadan

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have not yet upgraded to 2.7. Now on 2.52.

Inside the assets folder I have images and two other folders.

One folder seems to contain a whole other package!

I am trying to solve this problem using two approaches. One is to start fresh from a new folder and I am having some success but posted another thread with a separate problem.

At this point, I don't know which way to proceed and it is causing me alot of distress.

I have had a 3 great months of using b4a. this seems to be a problem of my own doing.

This is a great community and thanks so much for creating b4a, Erel.

Upvote 0

zetadan

Licensed User
Longtime User
What I mess I made.

It seems the files folder got corrupted with other files and the problem kept getting worse.

Of course you need to make sure their are no unnecessary files included.

I fixed the problem by moving everything to a new folder. A lot of stress for nothing. Thanks all.

Dan

Upvote 0