Wish Please put a line in red at top of your old/deprecated/lost source/no support etc. library/tutorials etc. and give link to the better/new/alternative

AnandGupta

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
With reference to
I too have faced many time wasting in old examples.

As we are anticipating huge new members, I have a humble request to all Expert/Master here,
Please put a line in red at top of your old/deprecated/lost source/no support etc. library/tutorials etc. and give link to the better/new/alternative one to use.

Already there are few libraries marked like above but still many are floating around and may cause problem/unnecessary waste of time to new members specially, as is mentioned in referenced link.

Let us all make this Forum a Welcome and Most Helpful place to our new members.

Regards,

Anand

stevel05

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Or if the Author is still active, write to them. I have too many posts to review all of them for concurrency and would welcome the opportunity to update any of the older ones that could still be relevant if there is still a call for the functionality. And if the post is indeed out dated, I would happily mark it and ask Erel to archive it, or archive it myself if the facility is added to the forum for the thread author.

I think we need to share the responsibility to keep the forum current.

Last edited:

aidymp

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have been saying this for a while! I come for the current best method, but then waste a day working with an outdated method!

stevel05

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
This text "Correct answer(s)" in the first post should point to the post# which solves the problem of 'subject of the thread'
That puts the onus on the original poster to update the post, some will, some will not. And of course doesn't get around the fact that the OS features can change and what is a correct answer today, may not be correct in 12 or even 6 months time.

I know it is frustrating to try a provided solution and find that it no longer works, but I think the only way to minimise the occurrences is to flag the issue, firstly with the author who can then make a decision whether to update it (if it is even possible) or declare the solution no longer valid. If the author is no longer active on the forum then ask Erel to flag or archive it as appropriate.

Last edited:

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
I know it is frustrating to try a provided solution and find that it no longer works, but I think the only way to minimise the occurrences is to flag the issue, firstly with the author who can then make a decision whether to update it (if it is even possible) or declare the solution no longer valid. If the author is no longer active on the forum then ask Erel to flag or archive it as appropriate.
I agree however the focus should be on tutorials and code snippets. It will not be feasible to update old questions. One of the purposes of the "similar threads" list is to direct the user to other relevant resources and it is less likely to show old threads in that list.

Peter Simpson

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
And here we have yet another perfect example of why I also believe and have one for some time that text should not be bold black but maybe bold, underlined and red.