B4J Question [PRAY] let's make B4J Linux development flow, please

peacemaker

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi, All

As a newbie for Linux and server apps
  1. i have tried to develop non-UI app on Win10 via B4J-bridge on Linux: OK
  2. i have tried to do the same with UI-app: failed, some errors do not allow to use JavaFX
  3. i have tried to start and make a .desktop link to start an app
  4. tried to use B4JPackager11.jar and start app on Linux again: failed
  5. searched the forum and found tons of similar questions about flow for Linux, and partially this does not help now in 2022

And it seems to me there is no complete tutorial of the full flow for B4J development for Linux: on Windows, and debugging on Linux: all only for Linux.
Sure, tons of info, but all in small topics, mostly already old, and combined for usage with Mac computers, and edited and now is not relevant already...

I invoke the community to help with creating the full tutorial, better if updatable along the time...

It needs to describe:
  1. About Windows installation (for remote debugging under Linux)
  2. About Linux environment preparing
  3. The terms and variables in the command line - vocabulary: Linux username, Java folder....
  4. Command lines examples with variables from this vocabulary
  5. Java files: from, where to...
  6. JavaFX files, modules, settings... "Error: --add-modules= requires modules to be specified"
  7. B4J-Bridge for non-UI app and for UI-app
  8. Debugging process from Windows to Linux
  9. Debugging 2 apps at the same time on one PC: say, client and server: how to develop\debug the apps with fast re-start an updated app code
  10. Release compilation
  11. How to start the B4J app compilation on Linux: manually, by a link (icon)
  12. How to start one B4J app from another B4J app under Linux (and get the response)
  13. Log output of each software above mentioned: where to find and locate the error message during starting or debug trouble
  14. Distribution Linux B4J apps set: rare, but automated procedure after all debugging - all available now in 2022 variants
Main aim - to have description of the fast B4J development as it works for Windows: if whole development environment is prepared - the develop process should be fast, with minimum of repeating typing - only for the code edition, waiting must be only of the PC executing a latest task.

Any interest to create ? Maybe few developers who interested in Linux (how to create the poll) ?

Last edited:
Reactions: byz

peacemaker

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
development on Linux (as opposed to on Windows)
No, i meant executing the result app in Linux, and debug in a Linux-host, but regular OS with B4J is Win10 on regular notebook.
And about collection of materials for this full development flow. Maybe it should be the tutorial containing 70% of the links in the text, but for all aspects regarding Linux target.

Upvote 0

aeric

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
  1. About Windows installation (for remote debugging under Linux)
  2. About Linux environment preparing
  3. The terms and variables in the command line - vocabulary: Linux username, Java folder....
1. I think nothing special about Windows installation, just normal B4J installation. Just make sure your B4J is installed in a pc connected to the same network range as the target debug Linux machine.

2. Just download and extract the JavaLinux zip as instructed in the tutorial. If the Linux pc has internet, you can also use the wget command to download the B4JBridge in the tutorial.

3. I recommend extract the JavaLinux zip above in your home folder. If Linux desktop like Ubuntu, there is Extract context menu by right click or if non UI Linux can use unzip command. You need to know “cd” and “ls” commands. Then to run the B4JBridge, use “java -jar B4JBridge.jar”
Command like “ip a” also useful to check the Linux network IP.

Upvote 0

aeric

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
7. B4J-Bridge for non-UI app and for UI-app
8. Debugging process from Windows to Linux
9. Debugging 2 apps at the same time on one PC: say, client and server: how to develop\debug the apps with fast re-start an updated app code
I don’t understand 4, 5, 6.

7. B4JBridge for non-UI and UI app are same.
8. Just connect B4J ide with the menu to the target IP. Similar to B4A bridge. Make sure B4JBridge is running.
9. This is not possible even on windows. Only one app can be debug and the other app should be set to run in release mode.

Upvote 0