PreSale questions

aklisiewicz

Licensed User
Longtime User
I need an aswer to some questions which came up whlie researching this tool:

- can I build fully compatybile .APK Apps
- I have a need to connect/create to public SQlite database so it can be easily copied from the device to the PC, can I do it without extra work ?
- I'm mostly interested in database type Apps, so would like to know if B4A is capable to create ParentChild type screens (i.e. like an Order or Invoice, with header and items)
- how the data synchronization is handled (real time, and off-line)
- how can I connect to MSSQL ?
- I've seen some SQL on-line help, but it is in german (is it available in English as well)
- can I assign an application icon while in development ?
- what are the chances for future iPhone version ?
- any examples for using images store in BLOB's ?
- are there any video's with HowTo , available (could not find any)

PS>
I'm asking hose questions because I have already bought one tool which was totally dissapointing for me...
Arthur

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
can I build fully compatybile .APK Apps
Yes.
I have a need to connect/create to public SQlite database so it can be easily copied from the device to the PC, can I do it without extra work ?
You can use the Http library to download data from a web service.
I'm mostly interested in database type Apps, so would like to know if B4A is capable to create ParentChild type screens (i.e. like an Order or Invoice, with header and items)
I'm not familiar with a ParentChild type screens. However you can create layouts with headers and items (and much more).
how the data synchronization is handled (real time, and off-line)
There is no automatic data synchronization method in Android. You will need to implement it. See this link which may be relevant: http://www.b4x.com/forum/basic4andr...-connect-android-mysql-database-tutorial.html
how can I connect to MSSQL ?
See above link. It can be used to connect MSSQL instead of MySQL.
I've seen some SQL on-line help, but it is in german (is it available in English as well)
All the documentation is available in English here: Android Programming Tutorials - Basic4android

can I assign an application icon while in development ?
Yes. Project - Application Icon.
what are the chances for future iPhone version ?
Not in the near future.
any examples for using images store in BLOB's ?
See the SQL tutorial: http://www.b4x.com/forum/basic4android-getting-started-tutorials/6736-sql-tutorial.html
are there any video's with HowTo , available (could not find any)
Currently we do not have video tutorials.
I'm asking hose questions because I have already bought one tool which was totally dissapointing for me...
You will not be disappointed. If you do you will receive your money back (valid for 30 days after purchase)

Upvote 0

Shane119

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi aklisiewicz

I bought this software exactly 1 month 1 day ago. I'm a seasoned VB6, Access and VBA programmer for (erm......too many) year. I've only just started using it last week and I'm really impressed with it, Erel is very pro-active and he's released a new version since I started. The "Senior Members" on the forum are excellant I've had some extremely useful demo programs and they explain things very well - a very friendly bunch.

I'm currently writing a DB program which for Water treatments surveys which requires a lot of information and periodic communication with the server for new information. Using the controls (views sorry must remember, must remember the terminology here) it has made the process quite easy.

I have used another piece of developement software for the Android system - which is excellent for simple recordings. Tick sheets, simple questionnaires, etc. But it's limited to just 1 type of data, e.g. Gas meter readings, recording parking offences, questionnaires on the street corner, etc. But for thinks like, recording lists of customers, recording their buildings, taking details of the staff, etc requires many applications. Using this software I know it will work perfectly for all my needs in 1 simple place - no need to close/pause 1 application to start another. Also share information between the screens, (which the other software would not do).

Sorry for going on, but I working in the H&S industry for 12 years or so, THIS software is the best I've seen and it will make my cliient's consultants working day much easier than the systems they are currently using.

As for Child/parent screens - use the ListView, an excellent tool, very easy to use.

I hope you keep using this software, it's powerful and once you get your head round it - realatively easy to use.

Shane

Upvote 0

jbob

Questions

Hi,

I've got a couple of questions also as I have tried the demo and like what I have seen so far but:

1) When I purchase the full version, will I get a printed documentation or reference material of some sort. I'm a little old fashioned and still like to read from physical paper books if possible :)

2) If I initially purchase the standard version is there the possibility to upgrade to the Enterprise version afterwards?

3) Also, is there any other reference sites you could guide to for beginners.

Thanks for your help.

Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
Upvote 0

jbob

1) You can download this pdf file and print it:
We do not send a printed manual.
2) Once your free upgrades period is over (and when the next version is released) you will get a discount offer. The exact discount amount changes from time to time.
3) There are links to many tutorials here:

Thank you Erel.

Appreciate your very fast help.

Upvote 0

dealsmonkey

Licensed User
Longtime User
As an addition to previous answers :

I purchased B4A on the 2nd April 2010. My previous programming experience is with vb.net and php, but very little with java (Android SDK)

My first app was completed and uploaded to the Android Market on 6th May 2010, you can view details here, screengrabs etc :

EXG Online Solutions

My app grabs json data using php webservices from a webserver, GPS, a SQL lite database on the device etc..

I found the support of the community invaluable and questions are promptly answered.

I could not even get the hello world example in the java sdk to work in this time :sign0104:

ps. I am not affiliated in anyway, just a happy purchaser !!

Upvote 0

dealsmonkey

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thank you. Your application looks great. With your permission I will add it to the "showcase" page once it is ready.

Thanks for the compliments on the app, so far it has a 67% retention on downloads, with I am very pleased with. No problem with adding it to the page, the more exposure the better :sign0060:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

aklisiewicz

Licensed User
Longtime User
Your App looks good (I have no opinion on functionality). Let me ask few questions though:
- you said you synchronize your local SQLite with some remote dB (is that right?) if so what database/sever you use ?
- is the B4A syntax identical to VB, or if not is there any resource to study the syntax ?
- I'm completely unfamiliar with the project structore for B4A, so I would like to ask if there are any options for group development, or how the situation with more than one developer would be handled ?
- what is percantage cos of the upgrade ?
- how easy would be to move a project from one PC to another (ie. if I want to move the project from my PC to my notebook when I'm on the road).
- how secure is data transfer between local and remote server (any encryption possible? how?)
- are there any tools to make password hashing (i.e MD5) which I can implement into the project ?
- where are any examples to access local Contacts ?
- how would I take care of importing existing SQLite dB structure into the project so I can work with the tables etc. ?
- are there any mechanisms for Referrential Integrity ? (i.e. If I delete a ParentRecord would the (relative) ChildRecord be deleted as well ?
- If i understand correctly I can create and App which can connect for example to remote MySQL/MSSQL database. In this case is it possible to use stored procedures ? or any type of business logic ?

- I have looked at NSBasic, and it seems to be a similar product. It also can produce desktop Apps. What would be the advantage of using B4A versus NsBasic ?

I'm sorry for this long list, but perhaps this will server in the future for others as Q&A. Lie I said I already bought another product which I was not really happy about so I'm kinda careful...

Arthur

==================================================================================
As an addition to previous answers :

I purchased B4A on the 2nd April 2010. My previous programming experience is with vb.net and php, but very little with java (Android SDK)

My first app was completed and uploaded to the Android Market on 6th May 2010, you can view details here, screengrabs etc :

EXG Online Solutions

My app grabs json data using php webservices from a webserver, GPS, a SQL lite database on the device etc..

I found the support of the community invaluable and questions are promptly answered.

I could not even get the hello world example in the java sdk to work in this time :sign0104:

ps. I am not affiliated in anyway, just a happy purchaser !!

Upvote 0

Merlot2309

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello Arthur,

To ask critical questions is a good thing :)
What would you expect to be reasonable for B4A, compared to it's price?
Full service has a price.

Quite some of your questions are already asked and answered on the forum.
For sure Erel or one of the other goeroo's will answer your questions and others can take advantage of this Q&A topic.

Beside the issues that are important to you B4A has much more to offer.
So I can assure you that you will get value for your money.

Succes and best regards,
Helen.

Upvote 0

Inman

Licensed User
Longtime User
Compared to NS Basic, the main difference is that while B4A produces native Android apps, all NS Basic does is create web apps that run in the phone web browser only. That means with NS Basic you cannot use even the basic hardware features like camera, mic, bluetooth etc... while B4A is full featured.

Also web apps cannot be distributed via Android Market while the apk files generated by B4A is 100% compatible with any Android app store. I will pick Basic4aAndroid over NS Basic any day.

Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
You can find answers to most of your questions by browsing the tutorials and the documentation: Android Programming Tutorials - Basic4android

The syntax is not identical to VB6. This thread explains the differences: http://www.b4x.com/forum/basic4android-getting-started-tutorials/7475-vb6-basic4android.html

In order to connect to a remote database you need to call a web service that will access the database and return the results. See this tutorial for one option: http://www.b4x.com/forum/basic4andr...-connect-android-mysql-database-tutorial.html

Upvote 0

dealsmonkey

Licensed User
Longtime User
Your App looks good (I have no opinion on functionality). Let me ask few questions though:
- you said you synchronize your local SQLite with some remote dB (is that right?) if so what database/sever you use ?
- is the B4A syntax identical to VB, or if not is there any resource to study the syntax ?
- I'm completely unfamiliar with the project structore for B4A, so I would like to ask if there are any options for group development, or how the situation with more than one developer would be handled ?
- what is percantage cos of the upgrade ?
- how easy would be to move a project from one PC to another (ie. if I want to move the project from my PC to my notebook when I'm on the road).
- how secure is data transfer between local and remote server (any encryption possible? how?)
- are there any tools to make password hashing (i.e MD5) which I can implement into the project ?
- where are any examples to access local Contacts ?
- how would I take care of importing existing SQLite dB structure into the project so I can work with the tables etc. ?
- are there any mechanisms for Referrential Integrity ? (i.e. If I delete a ParentRecord would the (relative) ChildRecord be deleted as well ?
- If i understand correctly I can create and App which can connect for example to remote MySQL/MSSQL database. In this case is it possible to use stored procedures ? or any type of business logic ?

- I have looked at NSBasic, and it seems to be a similar product. It also can produce desktop Apps. What would be the advantage of using B4A versus NsBasic ?

I'm sorry for this long list, but perhaps this will server in the future for others as Q&A. Lie I said I already bought another product which I was not really happy about so I'm kinda careful...

Arthur

==================================================================================

Hi, I have not ignored your post, just seen it today. I will complile some answers and post back for you.

Neil

Upvote 0

aklisiewicz

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thank you all guys, for all your time. I think the forum is really helpful and this is encouraging. I surely understand the product is very reasonably priced. I would be even happy to pay i.e extra $50 or so to get good manual with examples though. Perhaps one could create it and make few bucks(?)

Asking about the relation to VB I had VB resources in my mind that I could eventually grab to learn. I haven't used VB (except some simple VBS more than 12 yers ago, so I'm not looking for comparison but rather trying to find resources to learn the language.

I hope my HOW TO list will be taken into consideration

Arthur

Upvote 0