Problem in viewing CHM file

edsphu

Licensed User
Hi guys,
I am having no luck to display any CHM help files downloaded from this web site. Some CHM help files from user's libraries like LISTVIEW, etc... which is not in the HELP of BASIC4PPC.

Also, I used the screen capture app to capture the error message and tried to insert into this message but do not know how.... I clicked on the image icon and it asked me for the URL.

Any ideas about viewing the CHM files. I used to read the chm file okay by creating it using Microsoft HTML workshop.... Do I need another CHM viewer???

It will benefit me if I can read the help from user created useful dlls.

Thanks!!!

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
There are two things to try:
- When you open the chm file a dialog pop ups with a message similar to "Are you sure you want to open the file?". There is a small checkbox at the bottom of this dialog. Uncheck it and the CHM file should open fine.
- Right click on the file. Choose properties and find a button saying "unblock this file".

moster67

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
If I recall correctly and if you are using VISTA, the CHM-viewer was not installed by default. You had to install it manually or through an update.

Hi guys,
I am having no luck to display any CHM help files downloaded from this web site. Some CHM help files from user's libraries like LISTVIEW, etc... which is not in the HELP of BASIC4PPC.

Also, I used the screen capture app to capture the error message and tried to insert into this message but do not know how.... I clicked on the image icon and it asked me for the URL.

Any ideas about viewing the CHM files. I used to read the chm file okay by creating it using Microsoft HTML workshop.... Do I need another CHM viewer???

It will benefit me if I can read the help from user created useful dlls.

Thanks!!!

edsphu

Licensed User
Again thanks you guys for a quick reply and a willing to help...

Erel: did not know what chm viewer you are using but mine is Microsoft HTML Workshop and it did not display a dialog.

Actually the problem is:

Your CHM files are stored in the folder with '#' (hash) character in the path
Many C# developers discovered that their documentation and e-books in CHM format cannot be read because they were storing their CHM files in the directories like 'C:\E-books\C#\'
The hash character signifies an anchor in HTML so the CHM viewer fails to resolve the path properly and to retrieve the content.

Yes, my folder is actually created with "#" so I did move the chm files to another sub-directory and it displays fine. Now I can review the help from users' libraries..

Again thanks everyone!!!