Android Question Problem Inserting Dates and Times

philwest

Licensed User
Hey, I have been having a few problems inserting dates and times into my apps database submitted by the user:

The following lines are ok:

SQL1.ExecNonQuery("CREATE TABLE Event (Date INTEGER, Time1 INTEGER, Time2 INTEGER, Name TEXT, Desc TEXT)")

SQL1.ExecNonQuery("INSERT INTO Event VALUES(" & DateTime.DateParse("2015/01/01") & "," & DateTime.TimeParse("16:00") & " , " & DateTime.TimeParse("18:00") & " , 'Family' , 'sample description one')")

ListView1.AddSingleLine(DateTime.Date(Curs.GetLong("Date")))

ListView2.AddSingleLine(DateTime.Time(Curs.GetLong("Time1")))

However as soon as I get to this part of my program:

sumstring1 = EditText1.Text
sumstring2 = EditText2.Text
sumstring3 = EditText5.Text
sumstring4 = EditText6.Text

SQL1.ExecNonQuery("INSERT INTO Event VALUES(" & DateTime.DateParse(tempo1) & "," & DateTime.TimeParse(sumstring1) & " , " & DateTime.TimeParse(sumstring2) & " , " & sumstring3 & " , " & sumstring4 & ")")

I keep getting an error. I know the values are correct because I put the sumstring's in a label to view the input and the values appear correct. What am I doing wrong?

philwest

Licensed User
Oh just to clarify, it is this line that is the problem specifically: SQL1.ExecNonQuery("INSERT INTO Event VALUES(" & DateTime.DateParse(tempo1) & "," & DateTime.TimeParse(sumstring1) & " , " & DateTime.TimeParse(sumstring2) & " , " & sumstring3 & " , " & sumstring4 & ")")

Getting the sumstrings work

klaus

Expert
Licensed User
You say you get an error, why don't you tell us what error ?
Try this:
SQL1.ExecNonQuery("INSERT INTO Event VALUES(" & DateTime.DateParse(tempo1) & "," & DateTime.TimeParse(sumstring1) & " , " & DateTime.TimeParse(sumstring2) & " , '" & sumstring3 & "' , '" & sumstring4 & "')")
You need quotes for text.

Devan

Licensed User
As per DonManfred advice pls, Use Log(Message) to identify what the exact problem happening inside the program command line. This has help me with a few complicated codes and commands.
Hopefully this helps you.
tq