Problem with loading Images on PPC

angryjack

Hi,

:sign0085:

i have installed .net framework 1.0 SP3 and Basic4ppc on my ce.net 4.2 device as well as the desktop version of Basic4ppc with .net framework 1.1 on my PC.

I can run a simple application with buttons,textfields etc. on my PDA but if i want to assign an image (e.g. n.png) to the background of the form or an image control i get the error "an error occured can't load image: n.png" but in the Windows environment everything runs perfectly.

I also checked several times that the .sbp file, ImageLib.dll and the picture are in the same directory but it will not run.

Is there anything else needed to get it run on my PDA or did i do something wrong ?

Greetings
angryjack

specci48

Licensed User
Longtime User
If you simply want the background of the form or an image control filled with an image, there is no need to use the ImageLib.dll. Use the image-property of the form (or image) instead.
So the only things needed are your application and your image of course.

angryjack

If you simply want the background of the form or an image control filled with an image, there is no need to use the ImageLib.dll. Use the image-property of the form (or image) instead.
So the only things needed are your application and your image of course.

specci48,

yes i tried that also but it is not working at all, same message !

any other idea ?

angryjack

specci48

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi angryjack,

how did you add the images? With the designer or during runtime with path and/or filename?

specci48

angryjack

@Erel

with any image or image type (doesn't matter if PNG or BMP...). Programs without images are running without problems. So i tested the GPS example and it runs on my PPC in the IDE.

I have to correct that it is not a pure PDA, it's a PNA (Personal Navigation System) Transonic 6000T but i think that doesn't matter.

I thought it has to probably to do with the CF.net version so i tried also to install the CF 2.0 which is not possible because there is not enough memory but CF 1.0 SP3 is correctly installed.

As i mentioned ANY app is running in the desktop environment.

Is there any variable which must be set to get it run on my PNA ?

Greetings
angryjack

angryjack

Hmmm, really ?

do you have any idea what could be the reason else ? Perhaps missing DLL's or something like this.

It's a fact that the CE.net OS versions on the PNA's are mostly downstripped, means that only the very neccessary system files are installed to save space.

Beside the CF.net, does Basic4PPC expect any standard system dll which is probably missing on my PNA ?

Maybe you have a compiled test app which tests this, generates a debug log and which i can run on my PNA ?

I'm now programming for years in Visual Basic (from VB1 to VB6) but i do not want to learn to program in VB.net ! That's much more difficult.

For me Basic4PPC seems to be a real and much more easy alternative where i can program directly with the skill i already have. It will be a pity if this will fail ...

best regards
angryjack

angryjack

Hi Erel,

i decided to install VS2003, ~1 GB without C# and J# :( , to test if this will work or not. I'll let you know if i did succeed or not.

angryjack

angryjack

Hi Erel,

:signOops: you were right,

also with VB.Net i cannot get it running. I have attached 3 scrennshots from my Navi with the detailed error messages and probably you have any idea what went wrong and how i can fix this problem.

Greetings
angryjack

Attachments

• error1.jpg
    error1.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 284
  • error2.jpg
    error2.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 280

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi, i would put my money on a memory related issue...
How large are the images you are trying to use? (KB of course)
Try with a smaller image and step by step increase on the size....

angryjack

Cableguy,

Thanks for your idea.

i reduced the image to 816 byte only but it did not succeed.

I also checked the memory in the system settings

Ram
8.476 MB Ram in use
52.668 MB free.

Flash
Allocated = 9.984 MB
In use = 2540

I have attached the image as well as the project. I have no idea what it can be. As i said in the MS-Windows environment it works :sign0148:

As Erel mentioned, i think that must have something to do with the device. As long as i use projects without graphics on the device it works.

My OS is: Windows CE.Net Version 4.20 (Build 1088) if somebody wants to know.

angryjack

Attachments

• n.png
    n.png
    816 bytes · Views: 322

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi,

From the specs you posted, your device is a bit old?

have you tryed to update the OS entirely to WM2003?I believe you would still be able to use most if not all of the devices hardware extras...
I'm not an expert on the subject but I could point you in the upgrade direction if you want...

angryjack

Cableguy,

your idea sounds reasonable but i think an update will not work because the OS is flash based, or ?

I will assume that the only one who can help in this very case is the manufacturer (Navigon) with a flash update :(

If i want to buy a new one, can you tell me for what i should have my eyes open ? I need to have a PDA with a GPS receiver. Which OS-Version do you prefer ?

Thanks for your help.

angryjack

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi again,

Yes the OS is Flashed into the device, but my Qtek900 came with WM5 and now carries WM6 so I think that if You can run Win CE in it then You should be able to upgrade it.
Upgrading is an automatic warranty void action, so be carefull.
I can point two sites wre You can get more info on the subject if you wish..
If You got Your mind set on a new PDA, The main specs are Processor speed, Ram mem ( this is waht is most often used by the system and the users to store volatil info and other apps), Rom mem( this is were the OS is flash to, so any 64Mb will do, but HP has one with 1GB used to store the GPS sofware and maps, with built-in GPS receiver), and don't forger the comunication capabilities such as Bluethoot, Wi-Fi and Infra-red( Not really used nowadays), and the external storage as well, Sd, Micro-SD, Memorystick, depends on the manufacturer...

Hope I've helped you.