Problems sharing .apk via email attachment

mshihrer

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hey all, I wrote a simple hello world app based on the number guessing game, and am trying to send to my son via email as an attachment. He knows alot more than me about Android devices, but it will not install on his device. Just so I know the process, I compile and run (Alt + 1), this works and deploys to the emulator or my device via USB. Also, I created a signature file, but at first I didn't have this. As it compiles, I see in the details that the signature file is installed. Am I missing something? Is there some other setting I am needing? Thanks.

mshihrer

Licensed User
Longtime User
ok, I think I MIGHT have this figured out. You cannot simply download an .apk from a link, or email, and expect it to run. You can download it, but, it might not install. I had another friend try it, and he was able to get to run after he installed it thru Astro Manager. So, if you want to try for yourself, here is the link to my .apk.

http://st-rider.net/DevAndroid/hello/hello.apk

Upvote 0

mshihrer

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have one more question. IF I decide to have applications on the Android Market, am I given a special key from them, or, is there some special permission from the market that allows downloads from them to be installed on Android phones. I'm sorry, I'm just confused on how to properly deploy applications.

Upvote 0

etLux

Licensed User
Longtime User
On the phone, from Settings : Applications, make sure you
have Unknown Sources checked.

In the B4A IDE, from Tools, be sure to set a Private Key -- I
don't think you can use the default "debug" key in
a distribution.

There's nothing special to do when uploading to Android
Market (other than having the private key set, per above).
You just upload your apk.

(You should use the same private key for all of your
apps, as a rule.)

Hope that helps a little!

Best,

David
-----
David Sosnowski
The Music of David Sosnowski

Last edited:
Upvote 0