Android Question PROBLEMS WITH EXTERNAL MEMORY MANAGEMENT

SimonAndroid

Licensed User
Longtime User
Good evening, I have a big problem and I can not understand how the management of external memory works, attached 3 examples with various example layouts..

Example1 B4A_URI with ContentResolver (does not display external memory)
Example2 B4A_ExternalStorage with Library ExtrernalStorage (does not display external memory)
The native FileManager application on the Honeywell EDA51 device displays the external memory correctly..

Another question because only the directory of "AnyDesk Downloads" is displayed from what we can see also highlights the space that the memory has free 61.12 GB being the SD of 64 GB this with the Example1 with ContentRevolver however I do not understand how to add a directory where I put over 10000 photos. These directories are real or virtual, meaning I can extract the path and pass it to my procedure to produce a slideshow.
I hope someone can give me some explanations on this complicated topic @Erel @LucaMs @Star-Dust

Attachments

• B4A_EXTERNALMEMORY.gif
    B4A_EXTERNALMEMORY.gif
    223.2 KB · Views: 122
  • B4A_URI.gif
    B4A_URI.gif
    267.9 KB · Views: 128
  • APP_FILE_MANAGER.gif
    APP_FILE_MANAGER.gif
    297.3 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:

Star-Dust

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
The example you can follow to read and write a file on external memory (in addition to the ones you have already seen) is this:

Although I believe you've seen it before. I think I understand that you don't want to access a single file but a folder. You can select a single file or a folder, through in ContentChooser.

If I wanted to access a folder containing images in external memory, I would use the system's internal gallery app. Obviously those images should be contained in the gallery.
I don't know if there is a better system, maybe Erel can suggest something better

Finally to have access to the entire memory you have to happen through the file manager as in the photo. Because it has system permissions to access each folder.
If the fileManager does not appear immediately among the options, you will usually find in the menu the possibility to access further folders / further choices

1629440921910.png

PS. What version of Android does the device you use have installed?

Upvote 0

SimonAndroid

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thank you very much I will try and I will let you know, just a question why the folders of 'AnyDesk' are selectable and my folder not, which folder property must be enabled to make it visible in the list on the side.

Upvote 0

Star-Dust

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Thank you very much I will try and I will let you know, just a question why the folders of 'AnyDesk' are selectable and my folder not, which folder property must be enabled to make it visible in the list on the side.
All resources are listed, so there are freely accessible memory areas and folders, and all other resources, including apps that are registered as resources. (Google Photo, Google Drive, etc ..)

But follow Kmatle's advice, you can force the search for images

Upvote 0