[Q] Redeveloping AppInventor app - same facilities in B4A?

chuckyegg

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi

I'm considering re-developing an AppInventor app in B4A, but I want to know if the same facilities exist...

I don't need to know *how* yet (hopefully I can work that out!) but can I:

1. Have the app running idle until an incoming SMS is received (could be long periods of inactivity)
2. Read an incoming SMS message body
3. Detect the sender's mobile number
4. Programatically send SMS without any user interaction
5. Programatically send Email without user interaction, with attachments
6. Write CSV files to SD card
9. Output local database values to CSV
7. Use POST to feed an online database
8. Have an event trigger automatically every N mins/hours/days

And finally...
9. Update the app without losing the local database content

I think the answers are Yes to all of those

I'm really keen to get started, but I have so little spare time I wanted to check before I start coding

Thanks guys
:sign0104:

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
The answer to all of these is yes.
For item #1 you have two options. You can use PhoneEvents with a foreground service or you can use a bit more complicated solution that will not require a foreground service (I can help you with it).

#5, you can send emails without user interaction. However you will need to know the mail server password.

#8, Android (and Basic4android) allow you to schedule services to run at a specific time. However when the device is in "deep sleep" the device may postpone the scheduled service.

Upvote 0

chuckyegg

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Erel,

Thanks for your reply. I'm already very impressed with this forum, and your active involvement.

#1 - I was thinking it could be a Service, but I'm still reading

#5 - SMTP is fine, I have the credentials

#8 - This is for a periodic export (and subsequent email), but in fact there's no reason why I couldn't trigger it with an incoming SMS to have "export on demand"

One more question... I'm assuming that all Android devices (mine is 2.2 I think) have a built-in SQL facility. I want to create a proper database table (not Name/Value pairs).

Upvote 0