Android Question Question about variables

kepler

Licensed User
Longtime User
Good morning,

As you know, I'm facing some troubles with Global vars.
The fact is that if I have a var in a code module, for instance, I can change it.

But here's the problem: supose I have a string var called Data in Module1 with the value "None".
If I, in the Activity_Create, put something like this:

B4X:
Module1.Data = "777"
Msgbox(Module1.Data,"Info")

I get the value 777. Ok.

If I create a Sub, say Function1, and include it like this:

B4X:
Sub Function1 as Int
Module1.Data = "777"
End Sub

I also get 777.

BUT, supose I do this:

B4X:
Sub Activity_Create(FirstTime As Boolean)
dim res as Int = Function1
End Sub

Sub Function1 as Int
Module1.Data = "777"
End Sub

I'll get 777 IF the routine is as it is. But I'll get None, if Function1 is a "catch" function, like for example:

Sub JobDone (Job As HttpJob)
Module1.Data = "777"

or

Sub MyWifi_FoundLocation ()
Module1.Data = "777"

In these cases, it seems that there's no time for the Function1 assign the new value to the var.
And Activity_Create doesn't catch it - perhaps because it runs aside Function1 at the same time?

Maybe I'm seeing this wrong.

Kind regards,

Kepler

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I think the int declaration method you use is only for static values, not to call a function/sub.

try it like this instead

B4X:
Sub Activity_Create(FirstTime As Boolean)
dim res as Int
res = Function1
End Sub

Upvote 0

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
res = Function1
Function1 does not have a RETURN value. It just set a global variable... So, the "res =" is not needed

Upvote 0

kepler

Licensed User
Longtime User
Yes, I'm aware of that.
But how do I catch the values of the routines like Sub MyWifi_FoundLocation () or Sub JobDone (Job As HttpJob)?

Kepler

Upvote 0

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
You cannot "Catch" a result from JobDone as you DONT call it. What you can do is to call a sub in your activity FROM Jobdone to GIVE the value to your sub.
I dont use wifi-libs so i dont know MyWifi_FoundLocation () and what it does... But i believe it is the same like Jobdone... You need to call your sub giving the value from that sub too

Upvote 0

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
you either store them in the module/class or you call a sub in your main module with callsub2(modulename,"subname","yourvalue")

Upvote 0

kepler

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi,

Actually there's a process - not very nice though - to try to "catch" the variables.
Using a Timer.

You fire the Timer in Activity_Create. Create a number of beats too - that you count in Timer1_Tick sub.
In the subs that take long, declare the new value obtained to a Global variable.
In Timer1_Tick, just verify if the default Global variables have change - for the time that you want to wait. In the refered subs I mentioned, about 1.5 seconds were enough. If the values don't change, deal the best way - the subs might be jammed.

It's the best solution I've found.

Cheers,

Kepler

Upvote 0