Android Question RDC Problem

Harris

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
RDC works great on 2 VPS (Linux) I have configured - has for years.
Now I am trying two run it on a local machine running Windows 8.1.

http://127.0.0.1:17178/?method=test
RemoteServer is running (Mon Feb 08 01:18:14 PST 2016)
Connection successful.

So far so good... however...

When my app client tries to connect to the local server thru my wifi router - at the address specified by IPconfig (local pc - ethernet - 192.168.0.101) - logs states connection refused. Client app configure to "http://192.168.0.101:17178". Pointing same app to my remote VPS (with "www.tripinspect.com:17178") always works...

ALL FIREWALLS are off (as Erel stated this is typically a firewall issue if the method=test succeeds).

Been battling this for the past 6 hours at a remote customer site and I need it to work (only 6 more days on-site before I return home).

Any possible suggestions are MOST welcome... Must sleep now and get up in 5 hours to battle it more.

Thanks

alienhunter

Licensed User
Longtime User
Harris ,
I had the same problem , my I.T. guys did not allowed to connect to that pc/server when on vps , once they added this to the vps everything worked , even better they gave me a external ip to the sever.
The RDC was also configured on 127.0.0.1

Upvote 0

Harris

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Harris ,
I had the same problem , my I.T. guys did not allowed to connect to that pc/server when on vps , once they added this to the vps everything worked , even better they gave me a external ip to the sever.
The RDC was also configured on 127.0.0.1
This is a local PC. No network involved - only the AP connected direct into laptop NIC port.
I will keep trying thanks.

Upvote 0

alienhunter

Licensed User
Longtime User
This is a local PC. No network involved - only the AP connected direct into laptop NIC port.
I will keep trying thanks.
hmmm this is strange i am using also 8.1 /10 windows and rdc and no problems here , and i have almost the same AP config as you just i have a switch in between ap and pc
lol same ip's too

Upvote 0

KMatle

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Never used RDC. Assuming it's a fresh installation of the db system on that machine, it would say there's a configuration (db system) which does not allow non localhost access (I know that from Apache/MySql -> localhost is always allowed, but no other. Here I had to add other ip(ranges) manually).

Upvote 0

Harris

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
hmmm this is strange i am using also 8.1 /10 windows and rdc and no problems here , and i have almost the same AP config as you just i have a switch in between ap and pc
lol same ip's too

Getting closer but not 100 percent confident yet.
It is working but a process to get it there

Upvote 0

Anser

Licensed User
Longtime User
I also use RDC. I am able to connect to Local Host as well as to the VPS

Hint:- The config.properties entry to connect to my Local PC is my PC's IP ie 192.168.0.123 and NOT 127.0.0.1

For eg.
JdbcUrl=jdbc:mysql://192.168.0.123/mydbname?characterEncoding=utf8

Regards
Anser

Upvote 0

Harris

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I also use RDC. I am able to connect to Local Host as well as to the VPS

Hint:- The config.properties entry to connect to my Local PC is my PC's IP ie 192.168.0.123 and NOT 127.0.0.1

For eg.
JdbcUrl=jdbc:mysql://192.168.0.123/mydbname?characterEncoding=utf8

Regards
Anser
Mine is: JdbcUrl=jdbc:mysql://localhost/harris?characterEncoding=utf8

Turns out is was my ESET virus protection/firewall that was blocking it. I disabled it and it worked. I tried disabling the Windows firewalls but RDC runs fine with them... Also, my dlink wifi router has a DHCP which assigns IP addresses. I had to reserve the PC address so it wouldn't change - since the devices need a specific address. I don't have the luxury of a www url at this site (yet) which would overcome this problem. As Erel stated - must be firewall and or IP. Turned out to be a bit of both!!!

We hope to receive 3 industrial outdoor AP/Bridge units tomorrow and greatly extend our range and signal strength.

20 trucks to install (5 completed) the Samsung Galaxy Active 8 (industrial) tablets using RAM Mounts Active 8 powered cradle. This is by far the best solution for a cruel, rugged, dusty, cold environment. The whole kit is less than $650.00 CDN! Replacing one consumer grade device pays for this system which should last for years. However, RAM's Intelliskin product dramatically improves the usability of consumer grade products in vehicular applications.

Thanks everyone for your help. Consider this case closed.

Now the joy of report writing using NextReports (which I really enjoy). Not only because it is FREE (open source), but it actually works effectively as embedded engine, server or both!

Upvote 0