Realtime access to microphone

Jondroid

Licensed User
Longtime User
Dear all,
As an input for my oscilloscope I would like to use the buildin microphone. Now, I've seen two Audio libraries (and I've updated the audio library to what I believe is the latest version (1.30)) and the AudioRecorder additional library (vers. 2.00). Both libraries seem to allow to directly record to a file, while I believe is exactly what is needed in most cases but I would like to have realtime access to the audio stream so that I can display it on my oscilloscope.
Unfortunately it seems that the help of the additional library is not yet complete but from looking through the main functions I worry that neither the additional library nor the internal library will allow me access to the audio data.

My questions now are:
a) Is it true that as of today with the provided audio libraries and/or the additional library it is not possible to solve my problem?
b) If the question above is true, how can I solve my problem? Do I have to write my own library?

Many thanks,
Jon

Last edited:

Jondroid

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi vb1992, thanks a lot for your fast reply. I haven't seen that thread when I was searching the forums but I after you pointed me to it I got a view clues from it (e.g. using /dev/null as output file etc).

While the thread gave me some insights I still think that I won't get the audio buffer as an array but just with every timer tick get the current value. While this might solve some slow problems I will not be able to use that approach in my current problem. E.g. the audio buffer would fill with 22050 or 44010 datapoints per second (sampling rate), which is needed to be able to plot a nice graph.

Upvote 0

vb1992

Licensed User
Longtime User
Upvote 0

Jondroid

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks a lot. I will check out those links and report back. I'm still learning my ways around in this forum.

Upvote 0