RS232-Steuerung

NewB4a

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hallo,
by my 7'' Tablet I want to sent and receive sequences from measurement devices via RS232. At least I want to have - beside the possibility of invidual command sequences -some buttons for starting frequently used sequences or read values from the measurement device.

As a beginner in B4a: Can anyone give me I hint for a good starting point ore example? ( USB-Lib?)

Thanks!

Last edited:

NewB4a

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks,
I think, such a library will be usefull. But its also a hardware problem, because I don't understand enough what USB at android means.

I am using a 7'' Tablet with an OTG connector and a mesurement device with RS232 input, therefore a connection is necessary:

7'' AndroidTablet -- OTG -- XXX--device with RS232

My windows PC has no RS232, there I'm uising a USB-serial-port Driver and a cable to connect this USB-Port to RS232. Can I use this cable instead of XXX?

Upvote 0

kolbe

Licensed User
Longtime User
Careful! RS232 is NOT compatible with TTL level hardware. You will need something like a MAX232 to convert from RS232 to TTL level. RS232 is higher voltage!

Thanks,
I think, such a library will be usefull. But its also a hardware problem, because I don't understand enough what USB at android means.

I am using a 7'' Tablet with an OTG connector and a mesurement device with RS232 input, therefore a connection is necessary:

7'' AndroidTablet -- OTG -- XXX--device with RS232

My windows PC has no RS232, there I'm uising a USB-serial-port Driver and a cable to connect this USB-Port to RS232. Can I use this cable instead of XXX?

Upvote 0

kolbe

Licensed User
Longtime User
OK. It's just that he said "cable" and I didn't take that to mean converter. Some cables like the one for programing the Picaxe have a converter built in.

Glad to see you back!

Upvote 0

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
RS232 and bluetooth xmission ranges are almost the same, so why don't you use blutooth instead? this will save you time and money.
only need to use 2 modules:
1- Bluetooth to TTL module
2- TTL to RS232 module.
The bluetooth module can be directly connect to the RS232 TTL side and the later is plugged to the serial port of your PC.
If you want to control H/W devices or microconroller then you make sure you are sending byte array through the Bluetooth.

Upvote 0