B4J Question Run standalone program on B4J

Cotswold

A no doubt simple question using B4J v9.50 64bit
Just looking at B4J and am interested only in creating programs to run on a PC. I've loaded and ran from the 'booklets' MyFirstProgram, which runs Ok in B4J. Then I ran the Build Standalone Package and it ran through without errors and created a MyFirstPrigram.jar.
As that appears to be as much information in the booklets on this and there is no HELP from B4J except the slow online stuff, so I'm stuck. I've done searches in Community but they all seem to refer to compile errors. Clearly all that is needed is a simple command but I cannot locate that In the online searches.

Perhaps someone could advise on the simple solution.

Just one other thing: Is the JAR file easily decompiled back into source code?

Cotswold

The output of the standalone package is not a jar. It is an exe file + several required folders.
Many thanks Erel. It must be the related folder set where the .EXE was created : Bin, Conf, Legal and Lib ; a total of 49MB. I have it running on two other PCs, one WIn10Pro and the other Win11Pro.
I'm guessing but presume that it would only need one folder set that many applications would use and not need a separate 49MB for each. A bit like Access RunTime?

I've now installed B4J on the Win11 Pro PC and it seems fine. I'll now see about creating a small application as a test.

However, Win11Pro and MS Defender did not like the B4J download and I had to fiddle about to prevent it from being deleted. It actually came up with the error message : Not commonly downloaded B4J.EXE on several download attempts, some of which it helpfully deleted the file. I got around it in the end. I'm surprised that MS doesn't know about it and that it regards B4J as a virus risk. It knew all about it though and that Anywhere Software had written it.

Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm guessing but presume that it would only need one folder set that many applications would use and not need a separate 49MB for each. A bit like Access RunTime?
You are guessing wrong. The app is compiled together with the runtime. It cannot be reused with other apps.
The main advantage is that it works. The app will not fail because a shared runtime was updated or deleted.

Upvote 0

Cotswold

I'm here only because a saw a reference to B4X on the PureBasic forums a week or so ago. Someone was looking for software for Android and B4A was recommended over SpiderBasic. I'm only interested in creating standalone programs for Windows, IOS, Linux, Raspberry Pi, and PureBasic does that very well with no overhead at all. ( but no RAD unfortunately)
For now I'll not proceed any further with B4J so I'll use the ten days I'd allowed to assess on something else, but may come back in the future.

Upvote 0

MicroDrie

Licensed User
I'm only interested in creating standalone programs for Windows, IOS, Linux, Raspberry Pi, and PureBasic does that very well with no overhead at all. ( but no RAD unfortunately)
The point is "creating standalone programs" is mean, not a purpose.
With Basic 4 X you can make an independent program relatively easily and quickly. The price is an overhead which leads to a larger program. If that's a problem, you'll need to program in an assembler for each platform.

As already written, you have to distinguish between purposes and means. You must first ask yourself what the goal is = read what solution you are looking for. There are planty complete programs on the forum to use as the basis of the solution you are looking for as a quick start. It is very annoying to first make a choice, spend a lot of time on it and then discover that it is not feasible.

So far I only read that you have looked at a lot of programming environments (that's fine with B4X you can realize an unnamed solution with multiple RAD's), but it remains unclear to me what you want to realize with it.

Upvote 0

JakeBullet70

Licensed User
Longtime User
Ran into this, Have not tried it.

Upvote 0