Running other apps

Ianmac

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi.
I have written an app which, like topsy, just grew and is now around 1000 lines of code.
I now want to expand this further, but rather than deal with an exponentially increasing number of if - then, case or other option statements, it strikes me it would be easier to copy the original app and adapt it for each of the various cases that I want it to tackle and have a single front end app which, on clicking a button would open the appropriate app to do that single task and on closing that app it would start the front end again.
Is there a specific piece of coding to do this or am I now entering the realms of .dll's ?
Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Rioven

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Ianmac,
I have similar project as yours, it became huge file and takes time to open. Since other application modules need not to open everytime by the user, I have broke it up to several apps. I use 'shell' to open them in background. Some of my apps still takes time to open. It will be faster once Basic4ppc version 6 is released.

See this thread for reference...
http://www.b4x.com/forum/showthread.php?t=855

We could ask other members what other method could be done.

Last edited:

Ianmac

Licensed User
Longtime User
Many thanks for the reply, Shell was exactly what was required. I had looked through all the options I could think of from other programming languages but missed that one, all I have to do now is duplicate and amend the original.