iOS Question Sanity check: Does Simulator work with geofences?

Sandman

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
As best I can tell, Apple Simulator does not work with geofences. If somebody with access to Simulator could spare five minutes to test this, I'd appreciate it.

This test does not involve B4i or any code, the test will only use:
  1. Simulator running some kind of iPhone
  2. Reminders, an Apple app which should already be installed
  3. Apple Maps, which also should also be installed already

To perform the test follow these steps in the Simulator, to make sure you're doing the same test as I do:
  1. In the Simulator...
    1. Go to menu Features -> Locations and pick Apple

2. In the simulated iOS device...
    1. Start the app Reminders (icon looks like this)
    2. Make a new reminder:
      1. Name it something sane
      2. Tap Details
      3. Enable Location and tap the (i) icon
      4. Pick Current location (which will be at the Apple office we selected above, in 1.1)
      5. Make sure "Exiting" (perhaps "leaving" - I'm not using English iOS) is selected
      6. Go back to the previous reminder screen
      7. Make sure the Priority is highest possible
      8. Tap Done to save the reminder
    3. Tap the "physical" button to go to home screen
    4. Start Apple Maps so you can see the location of the device (this won't disturb the test)
      1. Verify that it still shows you at the Apple office at Infinite Loop

3. In the Simulator...
    1. Go to menu Features -> Locations and pick City Run
      1. This will start a jogging session, starting from the Apple office, very close to the position in 1.1
    2. Wait and watch Apple Maps as the jogging session within a minute leaves the Reminder area and continues further and further away
    3. Pull down from top to verify whether there is a notification or not

4. In this thread...
    1. Post your results. :)

I've done this several times, using different iOS devices, and verified location in several ways. All apps that show location and map show the correct location, but whatever I do, I can't get the geofence to trigger. I've also verified this using a real iOS device, where I've set several reminders with locations, and then went for a drive - it works like a charm and the Reminder app does indeed work as expected.

MikeH

Licensed User
Longtime User
Simulator Screen Shot - iPhone SE (1st Generation) - 2022-03-23 at 12.27.42.png

You didnt mention this, have you allowed Reminders to access the location?

Well, despite allowing access, it doesnt seem to work. I've tried a few different ways.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sandman

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
You didnt mention this, have you allowed Reminders to access the location?
Yeah, sorry - I must have done that last week and then promptly forgot that I did so. I started a new simulated device now and ran my own test to verify, and the question is asked, and I give access. And no geofence is triggered.

Thanks for taking time to verify, MikeH. Now we know that the Simulator is worthless when it comes to geofences. And unfortunately it isn't possible to help it along by keeping Apple Maps open, like one can with the Android emulator.

Upvote 0