Android Question Save entire folder to Google Drive

energypf

Licensed User
Longtime User
Good morning,
my App downloads medical reports in a folder external to the app, but on the device, I was wondering how I could implement a function that saves all these files on the google Drive, and possibly if the user wants it, be able to download all of them from the Drive files on another device with the same account.

Thanks in advance

energypf

Licensed User
Longtime User
I would have zipped them with Archiver or one of the similar libraries and used "SaveAs" to let the user save the file wherever they choose.
Perfect. While which folder can I use that complies with the new rules of access to google files so that an uninstall does not delete the contents? Only the cloud allows you to do this? Isn't there the possibility to set an app folder that is classified as "not to be deleted" if the app is uninstalled? Thanks in advance

Upvote 0

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Isn't there the possibility to set an app folder that is classified as "not to be deleted"

Upvote 0

energypf

Licensed User
Longtime User
unfortunately I do this already now, but unfortunately I am having problems with Google Play using ExternalStorage, I was wondering if there was any folder that my App can use without the need for extra permissions and which are saved in case of uninstallation.

Upvote 1

Brian Dean

Licensed User
Longtime User
... if there was any folder that my App can use without the need for extra permissions and which are saved in case of uninstallation

I think that you have already been told the answer to this question. Let me say it again ...

Your app has access to its own "internal storage". This means storage that is available only to your app, and cannot be seen or accessed by any other app on the user device. Anything other than this internal storage we will call "external storage".

The following rules now apply to all apps uploaded to the Playstore ...

Rule 1 - Any data written to internal storage will be removed when the app is uninstalled.

Rule 2 - Any data written to external storage will only be written after the User has given their permission.

So internal storage is no use to you, and you will have to use external storage after getting the user's permission.

To be fair to Google they have introduced this change over a period of years and have given developers fair warning to prepare for this change. And to be fair to you, if you are not a developer who regularly reads Google's announcements it was easy not to see this important change coming.

Upvote 0

energypf

Licensed User
Longtime User
I think that you have already been told the answer to this question. Let me say it again ...

Your app has access to its own "internal storage". This means storage that is available only to your app, and cannot be seen or accessed by any other app on the user device. Anything other than this internal storage we will call "external storage".

The following rules now apply to all apps uploaded to the Playstore ...

Rule 1 - Any data written to internal storage will be removed when the app is uninstalled.

Rule 2 - Any data written to external storage will only be written after the User has given their permission.

So internal storage is no use to you, and you will have to use external storage after getting the user's permission.

To be fair to Google they have introduced this change over a period of years and have given developers fair warning to prepare for this change. And to be fair to you, if you are not a developer who regularly reads Google's announcements it was easy not to see this important change coming.
Unfortunately we have not read this google directive regarding access to storage.
In fact my question was if there was any alternative to what you explained to me in your answer, that is some exclusive storage space for the app that is saved in case of uninstallation from the smartphone, but from what you told me it seems there are not many solutions.
I have to hope google will accept me the app.

Upvote 0