Android Question Screen Size, Layout - 3 Cases from Developer.Android

tdocs2

Licensed User
Longtime User
Greetings, all.

This is a difficult question. I thank you in advance for your replies.

QUESTION
Since JAVA is coffee to me, how would the 3 approaches shown below be implemented with the Java Object?
OR
How would this be done in Version 4.30 of B4A where Java code can be inserted in the B4A code?

Best regards.

Sandy

https://developer.android.com/training/system-ui/immersive.html

Choose an Approach
The flags SYSTEM_UI_FLAG_IMMERSIVE and SYSTEM_UI_FLAG_IMMERSIVE_STICKY both provide an immersive experience, but with the differences in behavior described above. Here are examples of when you would use one flag vs. the other:
  • If you're building a book reader, news reader, or a magazine, use the IMMERSIVE flag in conjunction with SYSTEM_UI_FLAG_FULLSCREEN and SYSTEM_UI_FLAG_HIDE_NAVIGATION. Because users may want to access the action bar and other UI controls somewhat frequently, but not be bothered with any UI elements while flipping through content, IMMERSIVE is a good option for this use case.
  • If you're building a truly immersive app, where you expect users to interact near the edges of the screen and you don't expect them to need frequent access to the system UI, use the IMMERSIVE_STICKY flag in conjunction with SYSTEM_UI_FLAG_FULLSCREEN and SYSTEM_UI_FLAG_HIDE_NAVIGATION. For example, this approach might be suitable for a game or a drawing app.
  • If you're building a video player or some other app that requires minimal user interaction, you can probably get by with the lean back approach, available since Android 4.0 (API Level 14). For this type of app, simply using SYSTEM_UI_FLAG_FULLSCREEN and SYSTEM_UI_FLAG_HIDE_NAVIGATION should be sufficient. Don't use the "immersive" flags in this case.

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Why are you creating multiple threads for the same issue?

Upvote 0

tdocs2

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello, Don.

This is a different question. The other thread had to do exclusively with Immersive Mode as it applies to the Nexus 7. This is a more extensive question related to the 3 cases outlined in the Android Developers quote in this thread (like the lean back and not immersive). I am also trying to get more familiar with using the JO or the new feature in B4A 4.30.

If you have the answer or know how to do this, I would love to hear from you.

Since you have a lot more experience than I do (and I am grateful to you for having been of help to me in the past), if you feel that the question is too complicated for the forum, I will withdraw it and rephrase it.

Best regards.

Sandy

Last edited:
Upvote 0