Sentiments about B4JS and my thoughts and your vote

Mashiane

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi there

It seems there are some sentiments about B4JS / JQuery, I think I also fall into that category too, but then my question after everything else was? What do I want to do with that generated javascript?

This made me to think deeply about that. Really what do I want B4JS for? The first thing that came into mind was hybrid mobile applications and then website development and then game development? Now my next question was, if I want to develop hybrid applications at some stage, that means I will move away from b4x gradually because that will be my attention point or perhaps I can balance both. Javascript is the basis foundation for everything web out there though. But then, game development, that is something else!!!

Now when it comes to web development, there are a lot of WYSIWYG thingies out there and doing B4JS for that will be like reinventing the wheel. Secondly, for hybrid applications that compile outside anything b4x, it will be like b4x creators are shooting themselves in the foot. I could be wrong though. Now, writing your HTML5 games using B4JS, that will be totally cool.

I think the strength of B4X lies in it being completely UNIQUE and mostly easy to use, which is why I think most people are wishing for this ...JavaScript module and finally, reachable in terms of price. Yes there are things like Xojo, Windev and even Xamarin now for anything else inbetween.

The basis for any platform is a boilerplate and also the generic functions that will come up with glueing everything else together. Starting something like this will mean deciding on that boilerplate which will be in this case HTML5 and then CSS3, ohh CSS4 is coming by the way. Ok, HTML5 perhaps. Then you will need to factor your own CSS or LESS. The thing is, there are a million or so web frameworks out there and choosing one means going through and finding the best of the best, we dont want mediocre. Now I don't know which one is thee best yet as they have their advantages and disadvantages and also depending on what you want to do.

For starters, I wrote JavaScript VB Functions some many many moons ago. A B4JS compiler will basically be having something similar where you just type in Len, Mid etc and it does the magic of javascript conversion. When I wrote JQM.Show some years back, actually posted it here January 2015, it was out of the frustration of having to create the same kind of CRUD apps for the same framework, so I did JQM.Show, which uses a model first approach to create CRUD hybrid apps using JQuery Mobile in 3 easy steps without having to write a single line of code. I even wrote an article based on the code that was generated by JQM.Show and this won Best Mobile Article of Feb 2015 (First Prize)

Now, the question again is, what do you want B4JS for and whether it is worth the time and investment should it be decided to be done? For me, it's purely for games development.

A B4JS poll was done by AlwaysBusy some many moons ago (wish I could change my vote in its favour) and he clearly indicated that his ABMXPlay would greatly benefit from it. Games development again!!! ;););)

No, I'm not asking anyone to vote. What I am curious about is what do you want B4JS for, if you want it. If you want to develop mobile apps, there is NSBasic for that, for games, I'm waiting for ABMXPlay and everything else that B4JS will do. It is a very important decision.

Let the games begin. Let's share our wishes, c'on folks..

Last edited:

Descartex

Licensed User
Longtime User
Note that none of the products are named Basic4<complete here>.

B4JS is a good name.
Does it mean we have to stay tuned to the new product launch???
:D

Descartex

Licensed User
Longtime User

Eme Fibonacci

Licensed User
Longtime User
The question is really complex.
The last time I thought about it was when I wrote something to node.js.
Coding in javascript is painful.
Why did I use node.js? Scalability. Node.js is easy to do scalability.

B4j server is easy to create but has gaps in the scalability issue.

Just my opinion: To b4x be even better.

1) Support in the clouds.
2) Scalability.