Android Question Serial Over IP

CraigMcManus

Licensed User
Longtime User
Greetings,
I searched and could not find any information on coding a serial over IP connection or a virtual serial port. Does anyone have any insight to the process?
Thanks in advance,
Craig

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
What exactly you want to archieve?

I don´t think that there is a serial over IP. At least i don´t know any...

Upvote 0

JordiCP

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
If by serial you mean rs232/rs485....it is quite easy. Port servers are easy to deploy if you want a "simple" connection. By simple I mean without rts/cts xon/xoff control, and timings (for instance, allowed timeout between question and answer) are not too strict...

If this is the case and you have 2 serial endpoints and just want to make an ip bridge between them, you first need to use a serial to usb or serial to bluetooth. Once you have this part working, send whatever comes from there to a tcp or udp port. Before this you will need to stablish a direct (or by means of a central server) connection between the two ports. This also allows rs485 multipoint architectures.

If on the other hand you already have a converter or multiple port server, usually they allow for multiple configurations and advanced options (dedicated config http port) but basically do the same as described above.

Upvote 0

CraigMcManus

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks all. I am guessing a little more information from me would have went a long way :) Erel was correct. I have a ham radio the uses a TCP-Serial server to accept IP packets on port 6001 and send the data over a locally connected serial port. On my desktop I can use a program like com-O-com that places a virtual serial port on my desktop that then is connected to the serial port on my radio. Then from my desktop via IP I can send the radio serial commands. I would like to write an Android app that does the same. Just not seeing a lot of info on the virtual serial ports for Android.

Upvote 0