Setup Maker Question

linum

Licensed User
I'm wondering what other Basic4ppc users are using to generate installation packages.

Here's my dilemma:

I created a program for the Handheld but I also created a program for the PC (designed to import the files created by my app in the Handheld and used for printing them). Now I don't know how to create an installation package that automatically installs my windows app and then sends my Handheld cab file to Activesync for Handheld installation.

How are you guys accomplishing this?

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions...

Thanks

digitaldon37

Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm wondering what other Basic4ppc users are using to generate installation packages.

Here's my dilemma:

I created a program for the Handheld but I also created a program for the PC (designed to import the files created by my app in the Handheld and used for printing them). Now I don't know how to create an installation package that automatically installs my windows app and then sends my Handheld cab file to Activesync for Handheld installation.

How are you guys accomplishing this?

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions...

Thanks

Pocket PC Installation Creator might do this. I use it to make cabs, and I think it has an option to create an executable that you install on the PC which uses ActiveSync to install to the pocket pc

klaus

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
With the SetupBuilder you get cab files and, with BuildSetup in the ETSetup properties area, you will get an exe file called ProgNameSetup.exe, ProgName is the name of your program.
Running this exe file on the desktop launches ActiveSynch and installs the whole program on your PPC.
For the desktop program there is no installing program, just copy the program with the needed complementary files in a folder and run the program.

Best regards.

linum

Licensed User
Thank you for all your fine suggestions, but I found a different way. This is what I'm doing:

For creating a PocketPC Installer File:

I run SetupBuilder to generate the cabs and then I also click the EZSetup button to generate my PPC installer file.

For creating a Windows Installer File (for my Windows Program):

I use the freeware version of CreateInstall (found HERE) and generate my Windows installer file that way.

Finally, I create one Installer file that merges both my PPC and Widows Installer files into one:

I use Stardust Setup Packager (this one is not free, found HERE). I run it, follow the wizard, and generate one final Installer file.

When I run that final installer file it triggers the first Windows installer and installs the program on the computer. After that one is complete it triggers the PPC installer and sends the files over to ActiveSync. Pretty cool!

Last edited: