shell and email

Discussion in 'Questions (Windows Mobile)' started by BjornF, Jul 2, 2008.

1. BjornF

BjornF Active Member Licensed User

Email addresses found e.g. in this forum often contain hidden a command e.g. "mailto:someone@hotmail.com". Clicking on the link starts the default mail program, with a new mail, and puts the email address in the right place in the new mail.

Is there some way of doing something similar in Basic4ppc? (without knowing what the default program is) perhaps with the shell command?

all the best / Björn

Edit:
    of course I could have tried the command as shell("mailto:someone@hotmail.com","") and I would have found that that works ok... Oh well, I hope someone else also benefits from this

Last edited: Jul 2, 2008
  2. BjornF

Hmm, although it now works I wonder if someone could explain to me WHY it works? I mean "mailto:xx@yyyy" is not a file... (which it should be according to the manual info on the shell command) :confused:

Are there any other commands (like "mailto:") which can be sent directly via the shell command?

all the best / Björn

3. alfcen

alfcen Well-Known Member Licensed User

Hi Bjoern,

Interesting finding, indeed.

"mailto:" is a keyword in HTML, while I assume that the framework launches
    the default mailer as it sees it. If you have a phone, give "phoneto:" or "tel:"
    a try (got no phone here for testing).

Anyway, I believe that the outlook library supports a full set of email functions,
    provided the target device runs WM5 or higher.

Thanks a lot for sharing this.
    Cheers
    Robert

4. agraham

agraham Expert Licensed User

Last edited: Jul 3, 2008
  5. BjornF

Thank you for the link - it looks like it should be possible to do all kinds of interesting things with the shell command!

Best wishes / Björn

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice