shell and email

BjornF

Licensed User
Longtime User
Email addresses found e.g. in this forum often contain hidden a command e.g. "mailto:[email protected]". Clicking on the link starts the default mail program, with a new mail, and puts the email address in the right place in the new mail.

Is there some way of doing something similar in Basic4ppc? (without knowing what the default program is) perhaps with the shell command?

all the best / Björn

Edit:
of course I could have tried the command as shell("mailto:[email protected]","") and I would have found that that works ok... Oh well, I hope someone else also benefits from this

Last edited:

BjornF

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hmm, although it now works I wonder if someone could explain to me WHY it works? I mean "mailto:xx@yyyy" is not a file... (which it should be according to the manual info on the shell command) :confused:

Are there any other commands (like "mailto:") which can be sent directly via the shell command?

all the best / Björn

alfcen

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Bjoern,

Interesting finding, indeed.

"mailto:" is a keyword in HTML, while I assume that the framework launches
the default mailer as it sees it. If you have a phone, give "phoneto:" or "tel:"
a try (got no phone here for testing).

Anyway, I believe that the outlook library supports a full set of email functions,
provided the target device runs WM5 or higher.

Thanks a lot for sharing this.
Cheers
Robert

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Last edited:

BjornF

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thank you for the link - it looks like it should be possible to do all kinds of interesting things with the shell command!

Best wishes / Björn