B4J Question Shell interacting with Python and Calling Functions

walterf25

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi All, i have the need to run a few python scripts in B4J, i came across the Jython library which works very good, but unfortunately i can not get the Bluetooth Module to work, I believe it is because that package is not installed in Jython and I believe that Jython also doesn't support modules that have C dependencies.

With that said, i've tried using the Shell library which works great, i'am able to run a scrip that searches for any bluetooth devices and displays the names and mac address.
The python code is the following:
B4X:
import bluetooth

print("performing inquiry...")

nearby_devices = bluetooth.discover_devices(
        duration=8, lookup_names=True, flush_cache=True, lookup_class=False)

print("found %d devices" % len(nearby_devices))

for addr, name in nearby_devices:
    try:
        print("  %s - %s" % (addr, name))
    except UnicodeEncodeError:
        print("  %s - %s" % (addr, name.encode('utf-8', 'replace')))
My question is this, how can I call a function inside a python script using Shell? Can this be done? if so does anyone have any examples?

Thanks in advance.

Walter

walterf25

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
There are probably other options, however you can create a batch file and run it with cmd.exe /c bat.bat
What i'm really trying to do is call functions from a python script and have a GUI interface, i found this library which allows me to do just that https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/threads/jpython.61094/ unfortunately it doesn't allow me to use certain modules which are not compatible with Jython.

The only easy option i can think of is using the JShell library, but i need to know how to call a function from a python script when the user presses on a control like a button etc..

Thanks,
Walter

Upvote 0