Share My Creation Shopping List Database

This is a shopping list database using SQlite. It was supposed to be simple but ended up over 600 lines.

It has add,update and delete functions. I added a help screen because there were so many buttons.

I based this program on the Family Meds application by TREMAR1. I thank him for the ideas and some code.

I added several functions including portrait and landscape formatting. I also use selections based on a checkbox.

This should help users programming a database.

Write with questions and bugs.

Attachments

• sql-test1.zip
    15.1 KB · Views: 1,981
  • sample1.jpg
    sample1.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 11,196
  • sample2.jpg
    sample2.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 2,017
  • sample3.jpg
    sample3.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 1,875

aklisiewicz

Licensed User
Longtime User
Many thanks for creating this example,... at least something to start with.
I have few questions regarding this App.
- does this SQLite table uses any PrimaryKeys (I do not se any, and I'm pretty sure that any good dB design requires at least one Pk for every table)

- If I add new record I would like to populate a field frmo the spiner, but I would want the spiner lookup in the existing (another) table. How would I do this ?

- scroling records with the finger on a device makes sort of unpleasant behavior making screen dark (at least on my HTC phone). Can this be fixed ?

- where is the database stored on the phone ? can I copy it from the phone to the PC and vice versa ?

Arthur

Merlot2309

Licensed User
Longtime User
Ok Arthur,

What do you want to say with those dots?

If you prefer a spreaded bed (sorry, translated Dutch expression and don't bother to have a search) this is not the correct approach.
First of all: there are some forum topic, examples, etc. about working with databases.

Second: SQL(ite) has it's own commands. I would like to advice you to have a look at the B4A examples and then go to SQL/SQLite info pages on Internet.
B4A can handle all the SQL(ite) queries and commands.

If you want to do some programming, start searching, try to understand the code and try something on your one.
i learn most from my mistakes - in coding - and I like it.
It makes me feel good when I achieved something on my own and that is what makes writing code soooooooo nice.

Honoustly: you don't know me - I don't know you but I do not appreciate the tone you showed in this community so far.

Helen.

aklisiewicz

Licensed User
Longtime User
Ok Arthur,

What do you want to say with those dots?

NOTHING SPECIFIC (perhaps only the fact that example like this should be part of the manual). I also have put a word of appreciation and you trying to turn it into something else, and I do not understand why. Perhaps you are to serious about everything, but thanks for your comments. Obviously IF I'm not happy with the software or community I simply turn into another product. As I understand I have a 30 days to figure out if I like it. One of the ways to figure that out is to see how easy I can learn to use B4A and how fast I can create something productive. I used few other development products in the past and the community was great, so I'm not new to this. Yes, perhaps I got spoiled with other products that I use. Those products as everything also have had their downsides. Some of them were easy to learn (because community was very helpful), some of them were supplied with excellent documentation and examples.
The argument "don't expect to much for the money" is not for me. It is not how much I pay (I could pay a triple of what I paid) if the software lets me do what I want and saves me time. In my case SAVING TIME is crucial ! It is a matter how much and how fast I could do. I'm to old for playing and trying to figure out things on my own and spending hundreds of hours doing that, as I have to have App ready. Some people like coding. I'm a type of "lazy programmer" and want to get things done fast. Perhaps this product is not for me - I don't know yet. I'm not saying I don't want to code or want some cookie cutter type tool, but want to code as little as possible with the best possible result, and the reason is simple: I do value my time and my potential customer doesn't care if I use a 'cookie cutter" type software or I coded manually. They want the program working the way they expect.
If learning curve is just to long and to complex I will just quit and go for something else.
You must understand that people will be coming to this forum from different environments and with different habits, and skills. some of them could be even like first time programmers who never ever did any development before. If you (or somebody else on this forum) has no patience to answer or to understand new users frustration, just ignore the messages and do not answer at all.

I already dealt with one company with this type of attitude like "hey,.. do not criticize our software, or company", and guess what? They are almost gone from the market. So, please understand that some criticism is a positive thing (unless one complains 99% of the time).
----------------------------------------------------------

If you prefer a spreaded bed (sorry, translated Dutch expression and don't bother to have a search) this is not the correct approach.
First of all: there are some forum topic, examples, etc. about working with databases.

Second: SQL(ite) has it's own commands. I would like to advice you to have a look at the B4A examples and then go to SQL/SQLite info pages on Internet.

>>I think I can handle SQL, and I'm not asking about this part. This post was exactly about one of the examples.

B4A can handle all the SQL(ite) queries and commands.

If you want to do some programming, start searching, try to understand the code and try something on your one.

>>that's what I'm trying to do here, and that's why I ask those questions

>>well, when you were 7 years old (or so) and you were sent to school, they didn't tell you go and search, or try, but you were given a book and a teacher to start with, then later when you were a student and wanted to expand your knowledge that was the time to do your search. This is how things work. Most of the time the beginners do not even know what to search for. Perhaps you are advanced with B4A and you already forgot that time, perhaps you have different approach to things (and that's OK), we are all different and that makes world so beautiful. I respect your opinion as you should respect mine.

In my post I referred to specific example and your message did not help me much. Thank you for your time anyway.

Last edited:

Merlot2309

Licensed User
Longtime User
Arthur,

Ok, thanks for your reply - I'm not developing professional anymore and have all the time of the world.

1. The database is stored in the root of the SD-card in the Android dir -> Data -> [Project name] -> Files.
2. I always use a black background with white font, so never encountered this. I find this much better for the eyes, ha, ha.
3. The Primery Key is set in the Database itself, as you most probably know.
You can use SQL.ExecQuery("REINDEX [Table name]") to keep it clean.
4. I don't understand your question about the new record

Helen.