iOS Question Silent notifications release/debug

wl

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi,

I create an app using Firebase to receive Silent notifications.
It works as long as the application is being run in DEBUG mode with the B4i bridge.

As soon as I deploy the app as a RELEASE app and run the app outside the bridge no notification are being received.

Any idea ?

Thanks

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
"Real" silent notifications cannot work in debug mode as the app cannot start by itself.

I guess that it seemed to work because the app was still running in the background. The debugger requests the OS to keep the process in the background for a few more minutes.

Silent notifications do work but they are unreliable. It can take a while until you see that it is actually working.

Upvote 0

wl

Licensed User
Longtime User
For some strange reason it seems to start working. As I read, when the app is "swiped" away the notifications are no longer received (or when the phone was rebooted).
The Significant location mechanism will start when in the background (or when rebooted).

But it seems when the phone is rebooted or example the Significant location mechanism will kick in (and thus the application is started in the background) though the silent notifications are not received (until the user brings the app in the foreground/start it).

Is this by design ?

Thanks

Upvote 0