B4A Library Simple WIFI library

Peter Simpson

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Well I must admit it @HotShoe , it's a really fast library there's no doubting that. IMO listing other local available WiFi networks maybe as a string array or list, is the only thing that is missing from this library, then it would be perfect.

Cheers

Last edited:

HotShoe

Licensed User
Longtime User
A new class MLscan has been added to scan for wireless AP's.

--- Jem

Peter Simpson

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello,
Erm erm erm, thank you @HotShoe , I wasn't expecting you to do it today. And wow it's really really really fast. It's faster than other solutions on the forum and less cluttered too. It works absolutely perfect

Keep up the good work, cheers

Go and poor yourself one of these, you deserve it...

10k image file.

Last edited:

netchicken

Licensed User
Longtime User
This is a great little application @HotShoe . I was wondering if we could access the signal strength of a wifi point. That way I could pass it to google maps and get a wifi range or even pass it to a needle that starts to point to where the wireless router is after you get some points to triangulate

HotShoe

Licensed User
Longtime User
I don't think that will be too much of a problem. It'll be later in the week before I can get back to this though. I am snowed under with work for now.

--- Jem

HotShoe

Licensed User
Longtime User
Version 1.06 added to first post.

--- Jem

incendio

Licensed User
Longtime User
Though I am not using this lib right now, but thanks a lot for this useful utility.

HotShoe

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks, I'll change that.

--- Jem

HotShoe

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thank you sir.

Harris

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Excellent lib!!

Just one thing I have noticed. getSSID will throw a null pointer exception if called when not connected to AP. All others return empty string (IP, MAC).

This will come in handy to determine signal strength before I start down and up loading data (which may get cut off due to wander too far from the AP).

Thanks so much.

B4X:
Sub wifi1_Tick

wifilbl.Text = "WIFI = "&wifi.IsWifiConnected
    iplbl.Text  = "My IP = "&wifi.getIPAddress
    If wifi.IsWifiConnected = True Then  ' would often report true and throw exception
      If wifi.getWifiStrength > 50 Then  ' added to prevent exception from above
          inetlbl.Text = "Internet = "&wifi.isOnline&"  SSID: "&wifi.getSSID
      End If
    Else
      inetlbl.Text = "Internet = "&wifi.isOnline&"  SSID: none"
    End If
    maclbl.Text  = "MAC address = "&wifi.getMACAddress
    dblbl.Text    = wifi.getWifiSignal  & " DB"
    levellbl.Text = wifi.getWifiStrength & "%"

End Sub

Last edited:

HotShoe

Licensed User
Longtime User
Harris,

Sorry about that I completely missed it. try version 1.07 in the first post.

I have also made a couiple changes to the wifitest project included in the zip file.

--- Jem

Harris

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Harris,

Sorry about that I completely missed it. try version 1.07 in the first post.

I have also made a couiple changes to the wifitest project included in the zip file.

--- Jem

Will do and thanks again!

I may have missed this somewhere, but how do you determine Internet (isOnline), ping a site or does:
  • android.permission.ACCESS_NETWORK_STATE handle this call

HotShoe

Licensed User
Longtime User
Actually, the state manager will lie to you about the connection status sometimes, so I am using the connectivity manager to see if there is a remote IP address and received packets.

--- Jem

Harris

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Ok, I see.

We had this issue elsewhere. Not an easy one to solve.
We were attempting to ping a url and if we got a response - then we had network.

I don't envy your attempts to resolve.

Thanks for the 1.07

Cheers

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…