SIP Exception

davidmw

Licensed User
First, I'm really enjoying Basic4ppc - figured it would be useful for prototyping and now it looks much better than that.

I'm trying to create a fullscreen application, with two or more forms. But since there are TextBoxes that need user input, I still need to make the SIP appear. This testcase shows the Exception I'm getting on the device (not on the Desktop) and this is the complete error message:

SIP(False) Error description: Exception

The error appears when running the .sbp on the device, I'm not sure if the exe would do the same as I'm on the evaluation period.

Attachments

• SIPTest.sbp
    542 bytes · Views: 257
Last edited:

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Buy it David - its a fun toy! (sorry Erel - don't mean to belittle it).

However you will not be glad to hear that I also cannot reproduce that error running your .spb on the device. I put another textbox on your form and added SIP(true) to its' lost focus event and as I click between them the SIP comes and goes fine. I also added a button to close the form after I rebooted my device - An Axim X30.

davidmw

Licensed User
Yes, still happens

Yes this exception still happens if SIP(false) is under Sub App_Start.

Actually I should mention that the exception is generated on both SIP(true) and SIP(false).

If the app is not fullscreen, no problems.

Device: HP Ipaq 2215 running PPC2003. The About screen shows this as PPC Version 4.20.0 Build 14053

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
My Axim is running Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition Version 4.21.1088 (Build 14260.2.0.2) so it's a bit later than yours. I've also configured B4PPC to run under .NET 2.0 ,which I have loaded on this device, so our environments may differ somewhat. Do you know which version of the Compact Framework you have?

Looking inside Erel's code for SIP it is a direct call to the Microsoft.WindowsCE.Forms.InputPanel.set_Enabled() method so the problem is unlikely to be with B4PPC so my guess is that it is more likely to be a device problem with full screen mode rather than a B4PPC problem.

davidmw

Licensed User
Thanks agraham. It is interesting that your Axim is okay with the code.

I've not updated Compact Framework on this Ipaq and it has no software on it - it was hard reset yesterday.

Maybe I should mention that the error msgbox has 'Basic4ppc' in the titlebar. Just commenting out the fmlib.FullScreen(true) line prevents the error. It doesn't matter if the TitleBar is shown or not.

I found the updated formlib on the site here and added that to my install and PDA. It didn't help even after a PDA reset.

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Maybe I should mention that the error msgbox has 'Basic4ppc' in the titlebar
It will as that is the application that called the method that threw the exception.
Just commenting out the fmlib.FullScreen(true) line prevents the error. It doesn't matter if the TitleBar is shown or not.
Confirms it is a full screen related problem.
It didn't help even after a PDA reset.
It wouldn't if it is a real reproducible bug which it apparently is.

I can't quickly establish the version of the Framework that shipped with Mobile 2003 but I am sure it predates Service Pack3. I'd try this next

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...11-194B-4C00-B445-F92BEC03032F&displaylang=en

davidmw

Licensed User
Excellent - Compact Framework 1.0 SP3 did the trick. The installer was already on my machine but it has been a couple of years since I've used this Ipaq for anything so it was long forgotten.

Many thanks for the help!