B4R Question [SOLVED ?} ESP32 : Com Port greyed out

rabbitBUSH

Licensed User
My question is related to this earlier today post from @udg but its a new question,

I have an esp32-wroom-32 (espressif) as well. It worked on W7 Arduino IDE 1.8.12 - but on W10 (which I swapped over to, BMFFIHS!) the COM port selection in the TOOLS tab is greyed out. Its laready loaded wiht a sketch from under W7.

There is no number on the chip on the board and the espressif schematic for the ESP32 does not show what the chip type is that is on the board nor is there a list of components (apparently its not consistent which chip is used)

So I've downloaded the Silabs driver for the CP210x family of USB to UART bridge chips as the most likely type, installed and rebooted (that is listed here ESP32 USB-UART list.) This is also the chip family most referred to in the arduino and some other fora I consulted.

Still the PORT selection is greyed out in the IDE. Probably 100% sure its the same USB to PC cable I used before so that means it has the TX/RX connections.

Does anyone understand the mystery and have assistance....My personal opinion is that its something in W10 - but hey, :po_O

Mark Read

Licensed User
Longtime User
It sounds like the COM-Port driver is wrong. I use this version which is too big to upload here. You can download it here: Link
It works with me for Win10 64 Bit.

RELEASE NOTES
=============
Silicon Labs Virtual COM Port (VCP) Universal Driver for Windows 10

Package version: 10.1.8
Release date: 2019-06-24

This package contains a Virtual COM Port Universal driver for Microsoft
Windows 10 for use with Silicon Labs VCP USB Serial Bridges. These devices
include the CP2102N, CP2102, CP2103, CP2104, CP2105, CP2108, CP2109.

OS VERSIONS
-----------
This package provides the CP210x VCP driver for the following versions
of Windows:

- Windows 10 (x64, x86)

Upvote 0

rabbitBUSH

Licensed User
Thanks @mark35at that link goes to Google drive so am waiting to see if a request for access is approved.

But I'm pretty sure that is the driver I downed and installed. I will do another check though. I don't think itd a problem on the ESP32 but will see if I have another one available to test.

Upvote 0

Mark Read

Licensed User
Longtime User
Sorry, access should be approved now. Or try this: Link

Upvote 0

rabbitBUSH

Licensed User
@mark35at : Hello again, I've downloaded from that Gdrive folder now, so you can unlink it if you need to.

Thanks. I still need to check if its the same as I did before. . . .

Cheers.

Upvote 0

rabbitBUSH

Licensed User
[[note to @udg and @mark35at ]] I've marked this as solved ??> not too sure what solved it.

as noted in #1 was using the same cables as for arduinos, but, used a brand new one on the esp32 after loading the CP21xx driver (USB) then finding which port it was actually hooked to and things started to work. so probably was a cable issue in the end, but there may be some sort of link with a W10 upgrade and how that manages the USB power allocations.

why don't esp's have TX/RX leds? anyway the next problem was a brownout when the wifi wanted to kick in at run / deployment time. solved that with a power source capable of more than 1amp (well just plugged it to the 2.5 capable socket). does mean having to upload a script and then shift the power to the mains and off the tower box each time to test run -> notable BA.

BTW the above power solution saved me hassle welding a CAP onto the ESP32 board -> which should probably be the effective long-term thing to do.......

cheers

Last edited:
Upvote 0