B4J Question [SOLVED] jShell and parameters with spaces in them

JackKirk

Licensed User
Longtime User
This is driving me balmy.

I'm using the jShell library to do some wifi massaging on a Windows 10 PC, one code snippet is:
B4X:
Private wrk_sh As Shell
Private wrk_args As List
wrk_args.Initialize

'Set up shell to disconnect WiFi interface on PC
wrk_args.Add("/c")
wrk_args.Add("netsh wlan disconnect interface=" & wrk_interface & " > d:\Swamp\BufferFTPClient-WiFi-Disconnect.txt")
wrk_sh.Initialize("Event_shell2", "cmd.exe", wrk_args)
wrk_sh.Run(10000)
If the variable wrk_interface contains no blanks (e.g. "Wi-Fi") then all works fine.

If the variable wrk_interface contains a blank (e.g. "Wi-Fi 4") then it dies with message:

If I try putting in double quotes like:

wrk_args.Add("netsh wlan disconnect interface=""" & wrk_interface & """ > d:\Swamp\BufferFTPClient-WiFi-Disconnect.txt")

then it dies with message:
Error after shell wait (WiFi Disconnect)...
Success: true
ExitCode: 1
StdOut:
StdErr: ''netsh' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

I've scoured the forums for the last 2 hours and didn't find anything that worked.

Any pointers to the probably incredibly stupid thing I am/am not doing greatly appreciated...

Last edited:

TnP

Licensed User
Longtime User
One potential work around is to put what you need in a .bat file then use Shell to run the .bat instead. I've been working on something similar recently and it worked for me.

Upvote 0

JackKirk

Licensed User
Longtime User
TnP, I thought of that but things are messy enough already, I'm hoping there is a cleaner solution.

Upvote 0

Daestrum

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Shouldn't the wrk_args be
B4X:
wrk_args.AddAll(Array("/C","netsh","wlan","disconnect",$"interface="${wrk_interface}""$,">","d:\Swamp\BufferFTPClient-WiFi-Disconnect.txt"))

Upvote 0

JackKirk

Licensed User
Longtime User
I am overwhelmed by the support that these forums provide - 3 useful responses in 5 hours.
Try to use Shell.InitializeDoNotHandleQuotes.
Erel's suggestion works a treat, the code snippet in post #1 becomes:
B4X:
Private wrk_sh As Shell
Private wrk_args As List
wrk_args.Initialize

'Set up shell to disconnect WiFi interface on PC
wrk_args.Add("/c")
wrk_args.Add("netsh wlan disconnect interface=""" & wrk_interface & """ > ""d:\Swamp\BufferFTPClient WiFi Disconnect.txt""")
wrk_sh.InitializeDoNotHandleQuotes("Event_shell2", "cmd.exe", wrk_args)
wrk_sh.Run(10000)
Which is the way I would have thought it should work with wrk_sh.Initialize

I can even name my pipe file as d:\Swamp\BufferFTPClient WiFi Disconnect.txt which is what I wanted originally but could not get to work because of the embedded blanks.

Which all raises a further question - why is wrk_sh_Initialize the "default" when it is doing crazies with the parameters?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JackKirk

Licensed User
Longtime User
Your usage is not standard.
Erel, you may be right but I have only ever used jShell to run cmd.exe - admittedly with much simpler arguments in the past.

Upvote 0
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…