Android Question [SOLVED] LED Torch (again)

Brian Dean

Licensed User
Longtime User
I want to turn on the phone LED (ie "torch mode") but without opening the camera. I have found a few examples on the forum but most are eight or ten years old and appear to require full camera access. I found what would have been a perfect answer here but it does not work for my phone (Pixel 4a). All solutions seem to require Java code and that is beyond my ability.

I suppose that I could open the camera and cover it with an opaque panel. Is there a better way?

BlueVision

Licensed User
Longtime User
Tricky theme indeed. I tried to manage that a longer time ago. Success? Well, it depends somehow also on the hardware used. In my opinion it would be much better to separate the led-light from the camera. Waiting for this since ages. I think this is the point. As long as the torch is connected to the camera from the point of software, you will need camera access.
Have you seen this posted by Johan? That was the solution for me, but worked also not on all phones I own.

Upvote 0

Brian Dean

Licensed User
Longtime User
Have you seen this posted by Johan?
Yes - It was one of the first that I found. But I probably did not look at it as closely as I should have, thinking that it was maybe out-of-date and I would be finding something better. I will go back and look at it again. Thanks for reminding me.

Upvote 0

Brian Dean

Licensed User
Longtime User
Try this.
Thanks - it works fine. I spend two days scrabbling around doing "due diligence" before posting a question, but when I do post I get a solution in less than an hour. That tells you something about this forum.

Upvote 0