B4J Question [SOLVED] Portable B4J (and JDK,JVM) and Portable Apps

inakigarm

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi:

I'm working frequently on a Enterprise computer where I can't install anything (it needed Admin rights to do so); These computers have Windows 7 & Microsoft Excel installed (I use VBA to code)

If it was possible, I'd prefer to code in B4J but:

1) The computer have an old version of Java (I can´t update the Java version)
2) The java files are the JRE pack (not the JDK) (I can´t install the JDK)

To code in B4J I'd need a portable JDK and JVM and googling I´ve found this platform, Portable Apps, a fully open source and free platform (there're a JDK and JRE portable apps -->jdkPortable 64-bit/jPortable 8 Update 181).
The idea is having an USB Drive with this platform installed and B4J as a portable app.

So, the question is :

1) Do you know if its posssible to code in B4J AS IS without a portable Platform Apps in this restricted scenario ?
2) And if 1) it's not possible, can B4J be converted to a Portable App ? (the platform seems to Support for .NET 2-4 apps). I can make the request myself but I don´t know if its possible due to B4J licensing terms.

Maybe is a good chance for Anywhere Software to be in this Platform as a Portable App Development Software

Thanks

P.D: Development Portable apps

xulihang

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have to deal with windows active directory domain user's privilege, too. I simply copy the jdk and write a batch file to run jar files. As for running b4j, I think simply copying the files in the installed directory will do. B4J requires .net to run. Normally windows7 meets the requirement. But it is better to ask your administrator to set you up.

Upvote 0

inakigarm

Licensed User
Longtime User
You don't need to install anything in order to run B4J.
Maybe my post was misunderstood; I know B4J doesn't need to install anyhing, but it relies on a JRE/JDK previous install.
In this case, in this enterprise, the computers have and old JRE (6) and no JDK installed.( and no rights to install nothing)
That's because I've asked about the options to run B4J externally from USB pen drive ,including B4J and the necessary components (xulihang gave me an option via Intel stick, but the price and the computers config doesn't allow me to test this option); if you have another option, it will be welcomed.
The question is if B4J can be included in the Portable apps platform in which there's no need to install JRE and JDK because they are included in the Portable apss platform; if you're agree, I can request to Portable Apps to integrate B4J in his platform and see which are the requirements and the feasibility of this integration (if the licensing scheme or ohter internaly questions permits that)
What do you think about?

Upvote 0

inakigarm

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks Erel, that worked (the computers have the NET correct version already installed; the Java part no)
I copied this folders from my HDD drive to a USB Pen Drive:

- Java JDK Folder
- Java JRE folder (maybe it's not needed)
- B4J Folder
- B4J external Libraries and Shared Modules

And finally, configured the correct paths in B4J IDE.

View attachment 72967

Attachments

• upload_2018-10-7_12-8-15.png
    upload_2018-10-7_12-8-15.png
    23.2 KB · Views: 259
Upvote 0

inakigarm

Licensed User
Longtime User
In windows environments, is possible to assign a permanent hard drive letter to USB pendrive (https://www.howtogeek.com/96298/assign-a-static-drive-letter-to-a-usb-drive-in-windows-7/)
If it's not the case because you haven't rights to assign this permanent drive, I'd try to code a program to find the USB drive and modify the B4J config programmatically (but I haven't found where B4J saves the Paths data so I don't know if it's possible) or Edit manually the config paths entries.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

inakigarm

Licensed User
Longtime User
File b4xV5.ini is on C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Anywhere Software\B4J, where Username is your windows username
If you edit this file with notepad, you'll find these Paths and you will change to another path (or change only the Drive letter if you want)

Upvote 0