Android Question [Solved] -xCustomList

kps

Hello,

Things which may be quite obvious and silly to you experienced programmers out there, are difficult for people like me who are just making a beginning.

I started writing a small app using Listview in B4A
I got some doubt and searched the forum.
Found this.
https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/threads/listview-tutorial.6537/

The first line there, says,
Don't use ListView.
Use xCustomListView - it is more powerful, easier to work with and cross platform.

I do not find xCustomListView in the dropdown list of Addview in Designer.

Then I search for xCustomListView in forum.
I set the filter to B4A and
Tutorials -> Nothing
Examples -> No such category at all in Filter
Code snippet -> Nothing
Questions -> Yeah, there are many; but none would tell me where to find it for using it in the Designer.

Can someone give me a lead ?

Regards,
KPS

kps

Maybe, you are not searching the proper way. Maybe, you should tell us how you searched.
I typed xCustomListView in the search box and got 7 pages.

Try xcustomlist.
Surprising it makes so much difference between xCustomlist and xCustomlistview

Upvote 0

kps

Search: https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/pages/results/?query=xcustomlistview

The very first result is the one that you are looking for.

Thanks.
I was looking for one specific issue.
How to get the xCustomlist in the Designer
After going through that page and analysing the example, I figured out finally.
You have to open the Library manager.
Include xcustomlistview.
Then, the grayed out menuitem of "customview" becomes alive in Designer window. Then you find the customlistview in that.
Got it at last.

Upvote 0

kps

kps
Try xcustomlist.

Erel
Why? There is no such thing. The library is named xCustomListView.

It is Google's fault to drill into us that it is enough if you just type the initial portion of the word in the search bar. :D
Henceforth, I will surely remember this.

But coming to think of it, does the forum's search engine look for "whole word" only?
It doesn't appear so. When I search for "attach", results are shown for "attached", "attachment", attachments", etc.
In a similar vein, searching for xcustomlist should show results including xcustomlistview, right ?

Any way, it is a lesson well learnt and would save me a lot of time in future.

Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
In a similar vein, searching for xcustomlist should show results including xcustomlistview, right ?
The auto complete feature does use prefix matching:

1593593265757.png

However the full search doesn't. Real search engines search for terms. Otherwise you will get "junk" results.

It doesn't appear so. When I search for "attach", results are shown for "attached", "attachment", attachments", etc.
The index holds the stemmed values.

This is all complex stuff and there is a reason why most sites search engines are very bad. This is a difficult task. Luckily we have a quite good search engine here (I wrote it myself based on Lucene).

Upvote 0

kps

Thank you Erel. I really appreciate your dedication.

You must be some kind of superman!
Developing such powerful suit of software, making it bug free, updating yourself as google and apple keep roling out their updates, making tutorials, sorting out user's problems, answering & clarifying queries, in so many different forums and that too so quickly.
It is a mind boggling herculean task. I wonder how you manage to do it. Hats off to you.

I am very curious !
Are you really one person or a big team responding as "Erel"

Upvote 0