Android Question Something to remember with BLE

SteveTerrell

Licensed User
Longtime User
My app requests data from a BLE device about every 500ms. I was seeing random delays to WriteComplete and DataAvailable - sometimes up to 5 seconds but more often up to a second. Sometimes the remote device would disconnect. Other times the response was ok.

Now i see something like 1ms delay to WriteComplete and never see long delays to DataAvailable (other than those caused by the remote device sending quite slowly).

The changes i made were:

Update the BLE firmware (i use an AdaFruit UART module).

Most important: move the tablet and target device away from sources of interference - especially PC's!
When i had the tablet and the remote device close to the PC (in easy reach for debugging) i had the above problems, when i moved the tablet a short distance away (30cm) and the remote device the other side of it (away from the PC) the problems stopped.

Hope this helps someone.

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
We trend to forget that any radio based com is easily broken by EMI (electro-magnetic interference) from the most innocuous devices, like microwave ovens, old 2T motors, old AC motor based appliances, etc... And from a few years now, the "new" switching power supplies, that work on a few MHz, but still have some punchy GHz harmonics!

Upvote 0