Speed

grgczyz

Licensed User
I must admit that speed of V.5.0 of Basic4PPC is noticeable higher in comparison to previous ones.
However the speed of present version of Basic4PPC is not enough yet for more complicated applications. I wonder if it is possible to increase the speed of Basic4PPC, let's say 2 or 3 times, in future upgrades???

I attached my game (battleships) in two execution (B4PPC and VB.NET) in order to show the speed difference. I can understand that Basic4PPC just can not be so quick, nevertheless the speed increase by 2 or 3 times would be very advisable and very very useful (if it is possible???).

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi,

I understand what you mean, but the example app you given us is not the best one to see it...
I had my pairs game compiled in V4 and it took almost 10s to load all the game controls in "very hard" mode, and I'm talking about 300+ controls in one panel...With V5 it takes about 6s, thats 4s off...
As erel specs for the V5 states, is an improvement of about 30% in speed...Note that all my controls were added in runtime, wich takes longer...Now I'm codding v2 of my game and decided to create all the controls in the IDE designer, and as far as I can see, it ist loading quite faster than the runtime created controls version....One should expect that the nore complex an app is, more resource consuming it will be, and therefore slower it will run..

BTW: Nice game

grgczyz

Licensed User
I'm really happy to hear that future versions will be faster. Thank you Erel.

In addition to my game the speed diffrence can be easily seen by pressing RND button in order to achieve random location of ships.
In Basic4PPC version of game the operation takes few seconds. In VB.NET version this operation is almost immediate. Also calculations during the game in B4PPC version take much more time than in VB.NET version.