Splash screen first?

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
My app needs an Internet connection. What should I show first:

a) Splash screen
b) a message to ask to enable an Internet connection?

Currently, if there isn't an Internet connection, a message is shown and the app terminates.

This is not a big question, I know :D

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Uhm... also...

To reuse "objects" I created a Splash Screen as Activity; then, I cannot run code during the Splash Screen animation (without changing the Splash Screen Activity). Maybe I should change all this.

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I like to use Splash screens...
I take the time, during a "small" pause between the initial enter anim and the final out anim to load resources, set variables, etc...
So I would check for the connection there, and do the final anim either to close (terminate) or to continue to the main code

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I take the time, during a "small" pause between the initial enter anim and the final out anim to load resources, set variables, etc...
Yes, this is usual, but...

To reuse "objects" I created a Splash Screen as Activity; then, I cannot run code during the Splash Screen animation (without changing the Splash Screen Activity). Maybe I should change all this.
:(
:)

JordiCP

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Why not put a couple of buttons in your splash screen telling that there is not internet connection? The user can choose to change settings or terminate.

If there is internet connection, play the splash screen anyway, while things are initted in the background from a service.